Hammock rings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Ok I've got a dd frontline hammock and even though the rope provided is well worn in and doesn't stretch I'm thinking its time for a upgrade. I weigh a lot (20 stone) so I wanted to make my own hammock suspension. I've seen hammock rings used as a buckle but I've also been told they aren't very good as a buckle. Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm using old but very sturdy army issue webbing straps 1" and about 2mm thick. I think it's woven cotton. Looks and feels really hard wearing and well made (as opposed to the nylon that snapped on a friends hammock 2 outings ago.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I'd go for a couple of climbing rated carabiners and 5m of 18mm tubular webbing at each end of your hammock, using this setup it's strong and simple ..

http://www.bushblade.co.uk/downloads.html

If you fancy that webbing give the shop a ring first, they were struggling with orders a couple of years ago and I don't know if they're back on track yet.

Can't actually download this because it's to big fit my phone. How do I use the carabiners?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Jon
If you are coming to White Rose at weekend theoutdoorshop is just down road who have beal tubular tape at similar prices in 16 + 2?mm

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Jon
If you are coming to White Rose at weekend theoutdoorshop is just down road who have beal tubular tape at similar prices in 16 + 2?mm

Yea defo I'm just going to tie a water knot at one end and then tie a blod knot on my hammock end all I need is something like a hammock rings or a cinch buckle or something to adjust it all.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I use strap suspension, with 1" polyester tie down straps from the local hardware store (Lowes). They are rated 1400 lbs so are quite strong enough. For the adjustable "buckle"I use two descender rings (I believe they may be termed abseiling rings in the UK) at each end of the hammock. I got these at my local outdoor store (REI) but any store with climbing equipment will have them. Here's a really good video of this type of suspension. Note the use of carabiners to attach the straps around the tree. This is quicker than threading the straps through an end loop. You could probably get stainless steel rings from a DIY or builders merchant, but be sure they are suitably rated. Descender rings are so rated, and I feel safe with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

CHere's one in UK EnglishC:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vv93xydDg&feature=endscreen

And it seems they are also called rap (rapelling) rings in the UK as well as the USA

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Yea defo I'm just going to tie a water knot at one end and then tie a blod knot on my hammock end all I need is something like a hammock rings or a cinch buckle or something to adjust it all.

If using tape you probably want to use tape knots rather than cordage knots. I can possibly bring some sat eve if I get there

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
It's worth getting to a PC and downloading it if you can, even better if you can print it and practise the knots

Ive already practised the knots I need. Just unsure of the system I want to use. I'm kinda getting to a point I'm thinking of reliability and weight. I don't want to add more kilos to my already heavy burgen. Kinda needs to loose a few really if anything. But I'm a heavy guy so I need a rigid and hard wearing system.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I looked at Rap rings and then I went to a chandlers in Cornwall where they were selling rings for 80-90p.
Haven't had a chance to put it to use yet.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The chandler's ringsmay be OK. Do you know the rating of them? With rap rings you always know exactly what the rating is. This is important, as with the standard angle of hang of 25-30 degrees, the pull on the suspension is your body weight on EACH side, when you are not moving. Every wriggle probably doubles or trebles the static load. Add a safety margin of x5and you can see why you need a breaking strain of 700 kilos minimum on your suspension system.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I use webbing and a carabiner (and whoopies slings if i need more distance).

To answer the question; how do i use them: dependant on the distance i either:

1. Use the double figure 8 loop i have on 1 end and thread the webbing through it and them use a marlin spike hitch or constrictor hitch onto the smaller end carabiner and attach the wider part of the carabiner through the end of the hammock channel

2. Use the double figure 8 loop i have on 1 end and thread the webbing through it, attach the carabiner to the webbing with a marlin spike hitch and then attach the whoopies to the carabiner (the whoopie sling is larked through the hammock end channel.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
The chandler's ringsmay be OK. Do you know the rating of them? With rap rings you always know exactly what the rating is. This is important, as with the standard angle of hang of 25-30 degrees, the pull on the suspension is your body weight on EACH side, when you are not moving. Every wriggle probably doubles or trebles the static load. Add a safety margin of x5and you can see why you need a breaking strain of 700 kilos minimum on your suspension system.

The chandlers rings aren't rated, which is one of the reasons I haven't rushed out and tried them yet, need to find some soft ground before I risk a failure.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I used to use a couple different ring based suspensions for hammocks - first I used the classic double ring cinch with a fairly heavy weight polyester 25mm strap - worked fine so long as I backed the cinch up with a slipped hitch - without the hitch it had a tendency to slip and relatively slowly put me on the ground. The second approach was using a single ring with the strap tied on with a girth hitch (ABOK 1871 - sort of a cow hitch or larks head onto the ring) - adjustment was to loosen the girth hitch and move the hitch up or down the strap. If I remember correctly the rings I used were SMC descending rings - 14KN. 11g

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE