Hammock insulation idea.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France

I need to get my underside better insulated. Now I know there are underquilts but they cover the entire underside of the hammock, down ones are expensive and synthetic are heavy. And karrimats are discounted as they slide out of position as you move in your sleep. My idea - sew webbing on the underside of the bag so once the mat is slid into place it shouldn't move around. Bonkers idea or genius?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mats don't tend to conform to your body shape in a hammock, so you're likely to get wind blowing through but that's probably not the worst idea I've seen. Just try it - if you're not warm then you know it's not working!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Looks like a Speer extender type? I've cut a rollmat in half, half goes 90 degrees for shoulders and torso, other half goes conventional for the thighs and lower leg. Seems to work ok so far but I'm sure I'll commit to the expense of a down quilt in the future as everyone swears by them. Looks good though

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got a 3/4 underquilt for a Christmas present from a chap on ebay [blueskylavander - no conection etc. just a customer] it was marketed as a "twilight" long. The only thing I'd say is - if I had enough money I'd buy myself a full length one as well.

I suppose there's nothing to stop your from strapping a sleeping bag underneath - I'm sure most people have a spare sleeping bag around [I know I do!] I can see the attraction of carrying a pad though, if you can't find suitable hanging points It'll make sleeping on the floor more comfortable.

I've seen people make sleeves for pads so you can cut extra bits of pad and position them to fold around the thighs and shoulders etc.

It's all about finding what works for you [and for your budget]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE