hammock for a fat bloke......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
What is the strongest hammock available and where can I find one?????

I'm a big fella and don't want a catastrophic failure in the middle of the night. I'm tired of sleeping on the ground. Am I just worrying for nothing?

I assume it's 550 Paracord or stronger for rigging eh?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can think of a few which will take the bigger guys, how heavy are you ?

The Nomads Land XXL is a cracking hammock, made from parachute nylon it's not so tight and restricting as others. It's a single layer though so you need to think about insulation options if you use it through the colder months.

If you pair that hammock up with a couple of climbing rated karabiners and ten metres of this 18mm tubular tape you'll have a rock solid setup.

For a simple and quick way to set it all up, have a look at Bushblades tutorial

Better link here for the tutorial

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To get a definitive answer, some numbers will have to be mentioned,
I'll be the first to admit that I'm above average for a hammocker, 19.5 stone - and I'm not concerned yet, I sleep amongst blankets, pillows and keep a water bottle, torch and other odds 'n' ends which probably bumps the weight up another few kilo's.
In order to minimise tree damage, 1" or 2" wide webbing straps are the way to go. There have been a few (even smaller folk) who have experienced problems with paracord (once you hear that "crack" in the middle of the night followed by someone shouting "Ouch!" you don'tforget it in a hurry!

www.imrisk.com for tips about hammocks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm close to 20 st. Eek! Dont know how that happened!

How would one go about using webbing straps to set up a hammock? Would the knots be essentially the same or is it a totally different procedure?

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Some of the DD hammocks are rated to about 150 Kg or 23 1/2 stone I believe. I've just ordered the 2010 travel model after using the camping hammock for a few years. And yes I'm a big bugger.

PREPER.............. :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm close to 20 st. Eek! Dont know how that happened!

How would one go about using webbing straps to set up a hammock? Would the knots be essentially the same or is it a totally different procedure?

The knots in the tutorial are fine for tape, once you lock them off with a second hitch they're not going anywhere

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
I'm about 20 stone and have a top 'strength' Blackbird, I'm 6foot 2 inches. Got it about 3 months back, used it once and it was a bit nerve wracking. The rings slipped once which didn't fill me with confidence although I was more worried about damaging the webbing/hammock than myself. TBH biggest issue (aside from too many sausage rolls and cans of lager in my lifetime) was psychological and probably technique in setting it up.

I found it incredibly comfortable when I just lay in it and relaxed, almost drifted off in the afternoon. When I tried to get to sleep (using 1 big wool blanket on top and travelling rug under) I was cold. Ended up using my sleeping bag which was dammed awkward.

I decided I was probably a rabbit than a squirrel at heart (ground not trees).

Next time I go out with it, I'm going to use it to relax in to get used to it and take a mat and bivy for sleeping on ground. I can see even from my limited attempt that it could be a great system to use. Until I get a bit more 'training' I'm going to take a dirt nap.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Just been looking at Light trek, ENO and Warbonnet Blackbirds.....the blackbird is pricy but really nice. The Light trek and ENO are hard to find in the UK though but work out quite reasonably (apart from international P&P and customs!!).

I finally found my old DPM basha.....still in good nick even after the abuses of previous years and loooooooooooong storage. my pegs are knackered though as are my guy lines! A trip to B&Q for some bathroom light pull-cord is in order I reckon.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
i contacted ddhammocks as i am 25st plus and they said as long as you change the webbing (as mentioned before) you will be ok they test them to around 225kg! but recommend around 19st is normal working load

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
A blackbird double in 1.7 is going to be one of the strongest production. I read on hammockforums theres one guy that has a triple blackbird (two 1.7 and a 1.1 layer IIRC)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE