Hammock Dilema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Firstly, I hope I've put this in the right place!
So here's the dilema, I was looking to buy a hammock (yes, another one of those what hammock questions) and came across the Woodsman X from ukhammocks, only issue it's a single layer. Not really a problem as Mat has said he'll add an extra layer for my thermarest etc. However I notice that ukhammocks will soon be stocking Warbonnets - hammocks, tarps & nets. What do I do? Do I go with a modified Woodsman X, or a double layer Warbonnet, or do I go the cheaper route and get a std Woodsman and a Warbonnet net, leaving me some money for a Warbonnet tarp and maybe an underquilt? Talk about a curve ball! As always cost is a factor - especially as I don't know what price ukhammocks will be doing the Warbonnet gear for. Maybe I'll wait for the new year and mull it over!

Any advice greatly accepted!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've not tried Mats hammocks yet but I have seen them in the flesh, I have one of his quilts though and the workmanship is top drawer.

I've got a Blackbird and would reccomend them to anyone

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
IMHO You really need to try anything in the "I need to get this right" price range, looking at them and even lying in one for a couple of minutes will not really tell you what it will be like after a couple of hours. All the reputable makers do good work but they all have their own suspensions, features and dimensions.

That was no help though, sorry!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
IMHO You really need to try anything in the "I need to get this right" price range, looking at them and even lying in one for a couple of minutes will not really tell you what it will be like after a couple of hours. All the reputable makers do good work but they all have their own suspensions, features and dimensions.

That was no help though, sorry!

However it is a valid point and well made. The problem is getting to try them, or finding someone willing to lend one!

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I know ..... there is something I want to try before deciding on a possible change and I want a manufacturer direct option of it rather than the UK retail pack :(

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have one of Mat's hammocks ... a custom job with double layers, foot box, whoopie slings, Bishop bag and fully zipped mozzy net. All I can compare it to is a Hennessy Asym, which I used for about 5 years... I much prefer the UKHammock over the HH.

I also have a winter under & top quilt from Mat. All very well made...I would defo buy from Matt again.

HTH,

Simon

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a uk hammocks system in camo. Built in net footbox and double layer and love it to bits. Although I mainly use my DD camping as I like the way it wraps around me, with this I have a separate mozi just in case.

Also have one of Mats underquilts and really have to say it's top notch quality.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I got a nomad xxl land hammock and that is a single layer hammock, I use it with my thermarest and tbh prefer it to a double layer as the thermarest is easier to move about if you need to.

But if you are going to use an underquilt you dont need a dual layer anyway. and tbh i dont see the difference in the more expensive ones anyway lol

but this is only my opinion

Dave

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hope you don't mind me asking this as it's a real rookie question.
I've never slept in a hammock - any camping I've done has been on ground mats and sleeping bags - and I wondered what they're actually like to sleep in?
Do you not get stiff lying in that slightly bent position all night (behave.. you know what I mean!)?
I sleep much better lying on my right side - is that possible in a hammock?
How easy is it to move around without tipping yourself out?
I understand the reasoning of not lying on a cold, damp floor, but I'm doubtful about how comfortable a hammock might be for me.
I'd be really interested to hear about other people's practical experiences with them.
Cheers,
Steve

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you lie slightly diagonal in them you can actually sleep pretty flat. I roll over in mine & have never fallen out

Alan Henri

Jun 13, 2014
france
hi,
My name is Alan, new on bushcraftuk...and french....would like to buy a blackbird double layers 1.7 from the USA, direct on warbonnet web site...but now (12 june 2014)i saw that Ukhammock sell warbonnet hammock...great....but i don't know them...they seems like to be very serious in a first view around......are they ? (about shopping command, and product receive). Thanks if someone could say me something about UKhammock after one or several purchase... (all help or chat very welcome)

I have another question important to me about the warbonnet blackbird; i hesitate beatwin (between) two models about the blackbird :
-the warbonnet blackbird double layers 1.7
OR
-the warbonnet blackbird double layers 1.7 XLc

In fact they seems to be exactely (the) same except for the XLC with 30 cm (12 inches more) more than the normal. (blackbird 307.2 cm/120 inches AND blackbird XLC 337.92 cm/132 inches)

My question is to know if the blackbird XLC is more confortable with 30 cm more than the blackbird normal ....or not. (about sleeping and changing position during the night)
Thanks for experience(s) or help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE