Hammock construction ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I look for the simplest ways to make things, so the question has arrived about making a hammock, but having not experienced one of these things I wonder at their construction, so I ask of those that use them and make them, do you employ the use of spreader poles for the hammock or do they not need them ?

And of the material to make a hammock, what ?

And isn't net making just macrame?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I look for the simplest ways to make things, so the question has arrived about making a hammock, but having not experienced one of these things I wonder at their construction, so I ask of those that use them and make them, do you employ the use of spreader poles for the hammock or do they not need them ?

And of the material to make a hammock, what ?

And isn't net making just macrame?

Have a look here:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

The guy makes most of his own gear :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd go to Hammock forums first and also Just Jeffs 'To the woods' site. Just Jeffs site uses a gathered method which doesn't involve any sewing at all.

As for fabric, its governed by your weight and our gradings are a little different to the americans.

I rate Pertex 4 or Skylon for hammocks, ripstop parachute nylon is also very good and often cheaper and lighter.

My favourite and most comfy DIY hammocks were made using the 'Warbonnet whipping' method and at least twice as long as wide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE