Hammock Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...I keep thinking about getting a hammock.
To be specific, one of the DD Travel Hammocks.
There are two things I'd like to know, though.
Fistly, the weight capacity. A friend has one and I always think they look quite delicate. He has said I could try it, but I'm scared of getting in it and breaking it. So I haven't. Does anyone else have one who is larger than average? I know it can be a tender question, but can I ask how heavy you are to get some idea of the hammock's resilience.
Secondly, and most importantly, I HATE sleeping on my back. Can you sleep on your side in a hammock? Does anyone do this?
Cheers all.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Plenty of big guys use them Durulz but I'll let them tell you how heavy they are :D

I sleep on my side in mine no problem, I do tend to drop off whilst on my back but I know I eventually turn over during the night.

If you've never tried one then maybe borrow one for a night and see how you get on, I don't know of that many people who don't get on with them so I think you'll be okay.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Mmm...I keep thinking about getting a hammock.
To be specific, one of the DD Travel Hammocks.
There are two things I'd like to know, though.
Fistly, the weight capacity. A friend has one and I always think they look quite delicate. He has said I could try it, but I'm scared of getting in it and breaking it. So I haven't. Does anyone else have one who is larger than average? I know it can be a tender question, but can I ask how heavy you are to get some idea of the hammock's resilience.
Secondly, and most importantly, I HATE sleeping on my back. Can you sleep on your side in a hammock? Does anyone do this?
Cheers all.

Weight, once you replaced the tape that it comes with, it will carry about 20 stone give or take.
Can you sleep in any other position then on your back in a DD, I’ve found the answer to be no. I can not sleep at all in a DD full stop. It’s too small, and too narrow unless you are a racing snake which from your first question I hazard a guess that you are not.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
My DD is still for sale (went all hoity-toity for a Clark). Unused, but modded to include krabs at each end for quick release and drip protection. PM me if you're interested.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
HI There
I have had a Hennessy explorer assym deluxe for about 4-5 years, I use it about twice every month for the weekend and sometimes long weekends, I weigh about 16 and a half stone and it is fantastic. it has had a helluva lot of use.
At least 20 of my friends have also bought a hennessy after my experiance and also trying one out for a night and they all agree they have never slept better, it has loads of room and I sometimes end up on my side with no probs, it has never let in a drop of water even in torrential and horizontal rain, I cannot praise them highly enough.
"nowt to do with HH but a very satisfied customer"

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
My mate's 21 stone+ and he uses a DD travel hammock with no problems.

I got the same sort of hammock and i sleep on my side really comfortably tbh. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE