Hammered my thumb today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Well just as it says, I fair whack my thumb today

519b2745-7234-1579.jpg

I think it will get a lot worse before it gets better :(

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Done this a few times in my life, the best thing to do is to relieve the pressure by puting a small hole in the nail will a hot paperclip or very small drill , just through the nail to let the blood out it works so well no more thumping pain ,if you are using a small drill just use your fingers to twist it until you see the blood flowing

Jason

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Done this a few times in my life, the best thing to do is to relieve the pressure by puting a small hole in the nail will a hot paperclip or very small drill , just through the nail to let the blood out it works so well no more thumping pain ,if you are using a small drill just use your fingers to twist it until you see the blood flowing

Jason

So not with a Dremel!!! Lol, the hammer is fine though it almost Got launched in to space...

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
So not with a Dremel!!! Lol,...

Give it a try if your brave :yikes: but i would stick to doing it by hand

The first time i done it was in my first week of my apprenticeship ,and i completely blued the nail ,i went to A&E thinking they would just take the nail off , but no doctor just heated up a paper clip and burnt a couple of holes just through the nail ,instant pain relief ,,,ever since then i have just done it myself ,but touch wood not done it in years

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Jason

Seriously dude? The last thing on my mind would be sticking a red hot piece of metal through my nail.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Seriously dude? The last thing on my mind would be sticking a red hot piece of metal through my nail.

Yip no kidding it works ,i have done it a good few times now ,the pain comes from the amount of blood under the nail ,all you are doing is letting the blood out ,takes the pain away almost instantly

Jason

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I don't tend to get these at school in metal or wood work. We tend to be holding work in a vice not by hand, apart from when using rivet sets or nail /centre punches.

Worse one I got was a horrible vibration injury when my mate was battering a fence post and I was holding the post......

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice shot :)

+1 on what Jag says, burn a hole. Instant relief :D I went to A+E years ago after a bullseye shot on my thumb with a lumphammer. They burnt a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
just done the same to my thumb last week !!!!!! its still very swollen and unable to bend it yet !!! :( ouch

df883193.jpg

ffecd897.jpg

893194c6.jpg

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I can vouch for the paperclip / drill trick, I tend tto do horrible things to my toenails and this always works, gives you a better chance of keeping the nail too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE