Hallucinations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
I remember reading some time ago that the Longtail tit was extinct in may parts of teh country, including Berkshire.

Guess I must be hallucinating as I could swear I just saw about a dozen flitting over my blackthorn, birch and fat balls...

Better stop drinking any more alcohol I guess...

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Maybe you were thinking of the Crested Tit which we only get in the Scots Pine woods in the Highlands. LTTs are pretty wide-spread across the UK except for tree-less upland areas in Scotland. I love it when walking along-side a hedge and family of LTTs move through beside me, they seem quite unmoved by human presence.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Jak I get lots of longtailed tits where i am (no essex jokes please :wink: )as you know you can hear them before you see them, ive some big willows by my house there always twittering around in them.. :biggthump fantastic bird :biggthump

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
jakunen said:
I remember reading some time ago that the Longtail tit was extinct in may parts of teh country, including Berkshire.

Guess I must be hallucinating as I could swear I just saw about a dozen flitting over my blackthorn, birch and fat balls...

Better stop drinking any more alcohol I guess...

LTTs are amongst my favourite birds. Last winter, we had lots of LTTs regularly attending our peanut feeders outside the kitchen window. This winter, I haven't seen one. We've had all the other regulars, such as blue, coal, great, and marsh tits; green finches; nuthatches; greater spotted peckies, etc. No LTTs. Very sad!

Burnt Ash

jakunen

Native
Hmm, peanut feeders...

I spent a fortune the other week on peanuts, fat balls, seed and feeders as we get a lot of birds including my own pair of robins (boy does that make me feel great, I'm hoping to be an 'uncle' this spring:lol: ) and so far only ONE blue tit has gone anywhere near the damn things. The LTTs seem to prefer scrounging for bugs on the trees.

Oh well...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
and so far only ONE blue tit has gone anywhere near the damn things.
Its only been a couple of weeks......

The birds that already come to your garden already have their food sources and will keep eating them.... only when their winter food is running scarce will they hunt out new food and find your treats, meaning that more birds are likely to survive the winter and not starve.... you'll increase the population... and soon your garden will become the main food source of the expanded population (as the natural suroundings cannot support that many new birds).

Remember though if you go away or anything you will need to get someone to feed your birds or you will be starving the expanded population of their main food source.

Its all nature see.......

Ed

jakunen

Native
Ed, used to work on a bird reserve as a kid so...grandmother-eggs?:eek:):

My garden is always full of birds and birdsong - various tits, finches, a family of VERY tame wrens, another of blackbirds (again quite tame), a nightingale (who loves to sit on my windowsill and sing its heart out at 3am...), and the occasional thrush or two.

My garden generally has more birds than most around here as I deliberately designed it to be wildlife firendly (log pile for bugs, pond with bathing area for the birds, plenty of seed and berry bearing plants, places to feed safe from nextdoors cats, high perches to sing from), and so it means that I don't have to use pesticids as the tits generally keep on top of the caterpillars that try to shred my gooseberry bushes etc.
Its just a bit frustrating when you know how much you've spent on food for them (we've had a lot of very bad frosts) and the little sods don't even look at it...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its just a bit frustrating when you know how much you've spent on food for them (we've had a lot of very bad frosts) and the little sods don't even look at it...
Birds can be like that... set in their ways.... but its the smart ones that will survive.
In a few years you'll be compaining at how much you spend on the little critters (I know my mum does)... then its trying to keep the local cats away.... and don't even mention the families of squirrels after a free feed!!!

:)
Ed

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Burnt Ash said:
LTTs are amongst my favourite birds. Last winter, we had lots of LTTs regularly attending our peanut feeders outside the kitchen window. This winter, I haven't seen one. We've had all the other regulars, such as blue, coal, great, and marsh tits; green finches; nuthatches; greater spotted peckies, etc. No LTTs. Very sad!

Burnt Ash

A couple of LTTs this afternoon. My cup, it overfloweth!

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE