Hair traps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Not sure if this is right place for this or if it should have been in flora and fauna
but since this area does not get many posts and trackers may have more knowledge in this area I posted it here :)

Okay I am doing small mammal survey by the use of hair traps

So here is the question how do I get hair samples to compare to the ones collected in the survey? :D

Without these no idea how to id the hair :confused:
looked at books but they are not clear :(

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Redflex,
It sounds a bit gruesome, but what about taking samples from roadkill victims?
Might not seem too pleasant to start with but there would be the advantage of a positive identification of the initial sample.

ATB

Ogri the trog

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Some ideas here Redflex. You could live trap your creatures and make a hair data book yourself which would be very useful to other students in the future. Tring Natural History Museum may be able to point you in a positive direction,although they did not have Glis Glis on our last visit a year ago. This creature is common here in this part of Bucks. Ogri The Trog certainly has a sensible point re roadkill. Another idea is to try St Tiggywinkles animal hospital in Haddenham (Bucks). They may help or may consider you barking!! :eek: :D Swyn

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
You might also consider contacting The Mammal Society in London (if you are not already doing the survey for them!) - they may be able to help regarding hair analysis.

Bob

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Update

Just putting together some info on hair sample id for small mammals. Found some good resources, once I have put my own data together with samples and ways to id them I will put online so others can access it.

With hair samples you can id food sources in owl pellets etc so might be of use to others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE