Hadrians wall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 6, 2016
Wigan
Hi guys.
Im in the very early stages of planning a trip walking the length of hadrians wall. I will probably go west - east with as much wild camping as possible.
Id be interested in chatting with anyone who has done it before. Looking at doing it in 7 or 8 days as id like to enjoy the scenery.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Done it a few times, its a nice walk, I myself always go east especially in the winter months, saves having the low sun in your eyes all day. reference wild camping, basically illegal if you don't have the landowners permission, unfortunately unlike Scotland we do have trespass laws, the only place in England you can legally wild camp is Dartmoor.

Sep 6, 2016
Wigan
I know its technically illegal but its obvious people do it. Im just asking to see if anyone on here has and to have a chat to get reccomendations and advice

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Myself I just find a quiet spot off the beaten track and make camp there, I don't often light a fire or make myself obvious, and I have never had any trouble,there are many campsites along the way, good for showers etc, and not too expensive, I tend to go in ad hoc, rather than have a deadline with a booking etc,so you should have no trouble, the only thing about going in the winter is it gets dark quite early, so you have to be up early to make the best of the daylight, you may need to take that into account if you are going soon, and obviously have a good map of the walk with the relevant campsites or good areas to pitch up marked, I find google maps quite good for this as you can have a look at the terrain and pick a few good sites out. Now walking along Hadrians wall is a popular thing, so you must understand that a lot of the landowners are fed up with people camping, especially those that make a mess and leave litter,and its those people who spoil it for the rest of us, so be discreet and "leave no trace" .

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I went west to east a good few years ago, I didn't do the whole thing basically just from Carlisle to Newcastle, I too was after summer it's too hot for me otherwise. I took 4 days and slept in a hostel at Greenhead. The bits with walls still can be quite busy during the day if the weathers nice but generally I found it quite empty.

Now for a brief interlude........

I met a couple of older guys doing the Pennine and walked with them for a morning, that's what inspired me to do the Pennine a year later [if these to 'old' buggers can do it so can I - I was just out of Uni then, now I'm getting to be an old bugger :)], while on the Pennine I bumped into one of them with his family at a hostel somewhere on the way, the weather was foul and I'd just had to buy a new pair of boots as mine had fallen apart the day earlier, but the hostel was busy and was trying to find a quite place to get out of the way and kip and a park ranger type chap found me and told me go up there a bit hop over that wall in those trees and no-one will bother you :)

anyway you'll have a cracking time, take some photos an post them up when your done :)

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
The entire wall route is now way marked footpaths with access rights. Its clearly signed for its entire length and there are plenty of places both on and just off the wall route with camping and hostels. As stated wild camping is illegal in England without landowners permission and you will not get that on your route. The route is very popular now and accommodation is easy enough. The campsites on the route will allow backpackers without reservation to pitch for one night and it will allow you to get at water and washing facilities. Much of the wilder parts of the route are under the control of the Northumberland National Park, English Heritage and National Trust. There are wardens, farmers and locals who will not be very accepting of wild campers. I'd go for campsites and hostels as much as possible.

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
park ranger type chap found me and told me go up there a bit hop over that wall in those trees and no-one will bother you :)ip and

anyway you'll have a cracking time, take some photos an post them up when your done :)[/QUOTE]

The wall route is now really busy and tolerance levels are considerably lower these days...... I'd go with campsites where possible lol

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Myself and 3 other friends did the full Coast to Coast route in May this year, we did it in 5 days (something I wouldn't recommend) and one thing I will say. We initially planned on wild camping along the way as well, but as others have said, trying to find 1) somewhere hidden away from public eyes and 2) a suitable spot that's flat enough to pitch a tarp (or tent if you're that way inclined) and 3) a suitable water source is a nightmare. To have the knowledge that you don't have to spend an hour trying to find a good spot after 20 miles walking, you know youll be comfy, will have a good water source and somewhere to wash is such a load off you're shoulders. We quickly changed our mind and even on day 2 of our trip we got to walltown crags, we actually turned back after getting a bit up the hill and couldn't find a good spot to camp, that was flat and not exposed to the wind massively and went back to a campsite at the bottom of the hill, there are plenty along the way. for the sake of £5 which is what most the campsites we stayed at are, its worth every penny for the peace of mind. Even with filtering and boiling water one of our lads still got sick from what we assume was water so just having that running water was a god send.

Maybe spend every other day on a campsite if you're dead set on wild camping but at either end (Carlisle and Newcastle) there really isn't a lot to offer. That's why we walked from the west coast right through and past Carlisle and into the countryside a bit on our first day. Was something like 23 miles and was TOUGH. Even with 12kg loads (we have all got quick good at maximising our lightweight gear, if you need any tips on this as well we've all got some good little tips and tricks)

Either way, great trip and one I hope to do again maybe next year but over a longer period of time. The most enjoyable part is the evenings in the campsite/hostel talking to the other people you meet along the way. We bumped into a group of 12 guys from America and they had some great stories!

Cheers!
BCM

If you want any advice on the trip/route etc just let me know i'd be happy to help

Feb 7, 2013
Northumberland
I haven't done it myself (even though I pass parts of the walk on a weekly basis!) but WILL walk it probably next April before it gets too busy. It's become a lot more popular since the creation of the proper trail and Robson Green's series of Northumberland telling Britain about how great the region is. Agree with the others regarding using the campsites/hostels along the route......wild camping would be amazing but unfortunately now it's more popular and organised by the various authorities/landowners camping in places other than the official sites is quite strictly enforced in the National Park area (if you're caught!).

I met quite a few people from all over the world when I walked the Camino de Santiago a few years ago who couldn't believe I hadn't walked it......then met someone from Santiago who said they hadn't walked the Camino but had walked Hadrian's Wall!
I'd definitely recommend not racing to complete it if possible....I walked the Camino and took much longer than most (as I had no timescale to complete it) and believe I got a lot more from it than the ones who walked it in 3 or 4 weeks. If I liked an area I would stay for a few days, explore and really take it all in.

The scenery along some parts is pretty amazing, and there's some great pubs along the way. I'd also recommend walking to Tynemouth, reaching the coast and going for a dip in the sea before your well earned pint. Most walk it West to East, which I'll do, as the wind it mostly westerly so you're not walking into it and any rain.

One must do is visiting Vindolanda fort and the amazing museum a few miles south of the wall. Newcastle also has some interesting Roman history and the Discovery Museum and Laing Art Gallery (both free) are worth a visit. Cracking pubs in The Ouseburn (just off the quayside) on the east side of the city too.

Good luck and enjoy :)

Last edited:

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
ohhhh now this sounds a good but easyish thing to do for me!

I turn 40 next year & just don't do any walking but always wanted to do something. thinking of setting myself goal of doing this walk, maybe next September? if I do it'll motivate me to start getting out now & practicing.

going to have to reading up on it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Before my knees packed up long distance walking was my main outdoor recreation and I walked a lot of the LDPs.
A couple of years ago I got around to walking "The Wall" ... best of all the official LDPs I ever walked!
The scenery is terrific, the variety of landforms amazing, the wild flora and fauna stupendous, the history unrivaled, the locals incredibly friendly, the bunkhouses clean, tidy and quirky, the pubs welcoming ... I could go on but it would waste the time you would be better off using to pack your bags and get up to The Wall!
I did it East to West, due to transport needs/availability, and took a week over it. Loved every mile and minute:)

If you are not up to load carrying you can get your bags taken around from one nights accom to the next for a reasonable fee....

Sep 6, 2016
Wigan
Thats great advice. Thank you. Having done a bit of research and seen what people have said on here ive decided to use proper campsite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE