Hacking up a deodorant can ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's the best way to get into an aerosol can without any dramas ?

I guess holding the valve open until all the gas is out isn't quite enough is it ?

I'm tempted to stick one in a vice and chuck a dart at it and see what happens :)

Any safer options ?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
holding the valve down worked for me, mind you i was a bit nervous with the dremel the first time !! worked ok though and no dramas.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hold the can upside down and squeeze the valve down until all pressure has gone.

Then take a hacksaw or file to it so you can do it nice and slowly just in case you've got anything left

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I used to work with that stuff in bulk,
Once the pressure is dissipated, you can cut into the can with anything you like.
I would however suggest caution in handing the residue inside the can - it can hurt like hell if you get it in your eye and can cause skin problems if it gets on your skin in high concentrations. The metal of the can itself can be very sharp too so go careful.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Rich,..

if youre making a little meths burner, a "dove" aerosol can is perfect,..

the base is parrallel, the top half has a "waist" which fits into the base,..

a bit of carefull measuring and you get a 2-3 inch high perfect fit,..

run a drill into the plastic bit at the top,...file it out and your good to go,...

i use mine under a small tin cup for a quick brew up,...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
scissors mate, that's the way forwards, stab it then cut it, and if you die don't come running to us!

and has been suggested before, grow a pair!

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE