guylines, tarps and ridglines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ok guys im just curios
Question (1)
what strength guyline would you recommend, i got some 45kg strength polyester? rope is this strong enough for a tarp guylines.

question (2)
and i got some of the same stuff just stronger for a ridgeline but it seems too stretch a lot, is this a big concern?? (i havnt tested it outside yet).maybe i should before posting next time....

question (3)
should i go splash out on better rope??

question (4)
guys do you carry tent pegs for a tarp setup or do you carve them on location

:camping:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1) I'd say 45kg is plenty for guy lines, just remember to add some shock cord to save your tie outs from ripping out.

2) Getting something static (non stretchy) for your ridge is better if you use a full length one. Not so much of an issue if you just use short tie outs from you tarp edge to the trees.

3) Probably for the ridgeline

4) Usually I carve some from green wood when I get to camp, nothing wrong with carrying some lightweight titanium ones though. Most of my camping takes place in mossy woodland so I need something a bit longer and thicker.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Rich, do you use shockcord alone for your guylines? or do you rig it with the shockcord tied to normal cord lines?

I carry a random assortment of pegs as I find they come in handy for spreading my bugnet as well as for being used in marlen spike hitchs. Ti ones are pretty cheap from alpkits and the fact that its free next day postage is pretty tempting to me at least :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, do you use shockcord alone for your guylines? or do you rig it with the shockcord tied to normal cord lines?

I carry a random assortment of pegs as I find they come in handy for spreading my bugnet as well as for being used in marlen spike hitchs. Ti ones are pretty cheap from alpkits and the fact that its free next day postage is pretty tempting to me at least :D

No mate I just tie a short 6" loop of SC to my tarp tie outs and then larks head my guyline onto that.

Another vote for the Alpkit pegs, grab a couple of packets of their mini biners too if you buy any, dead handy for all sorts of tarp and hammock tom foolery.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
(1) i use dirt cheap tracpac 3mm stuff for my guylines and they hold up very well

(2) again i'm using 3mm tracpac stuff. yes it stretches but it'll settle after a while. nothing to worry about.

(3) no don't waste your money.

(4)carve on location. cheaper, greener and much lighter to carry.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I use some 4mm static cord (for climbers - no stretch) for ridges & 505 paracord guys. I'd second the vote for Alpkit mini-biners, v handy, cheap & lite.
I usually have some X-section polythene pegs as I find them strong (they are a bit bendy) and light, great for a quick set-up if it is raining.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE