Gun talk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
leon-b said:
does it kick more than the 12 bore ?

You seem quite concerned about the kick. Have you shot a 12 and found it hard kicking?
There is an awful lot of crap talked about perceived recoil, there are two (well three!) things which will reduce kick.
Gun fit - probably the most significant, a poor fitting gun will leave you a bit sore.
Gun weight - simple physics
Powder load - simple physics again, bigger bang = bigger opposite reaction. Trouble is many people put more bang powder in the smaller bore guns, negating any "gain" from the smaller bore.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Think about a semi like the beretta, recoil is used to cycle the action and they are very sweet to shoot.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Leon, I would'nt worry too much about kick. As long as you gun mount is OK you wont really notice it after a couple of lessons. You'll be more worried about keeping your eyes on the target and getting the correct lead.

Incidentally Leon, I'm a Felixstowe lad originally and I've popped into High Lodge Shooting School down your way in Suffolk a couple of times. I can recommed you visit if you end up taking a liking to sporting clays or skeet.

Matt

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...All in all, if you really want to be able to live off the land over a long term period in North America, you should have at least one, accurate, centerfire rifle. In other words, something you can reliably drop a deer with at typical North American game killing ranges. Most deer in the USA are killed within 200 yards (180m) or less...

I'm pretty sure the generation that lived through the Great Depression of the 1930s (my parents and grandparents generations) would disagree. They fed themselves with 22 single shots. It's all the rifle and all the ammo they could afford for almost a decade. That sounds pretty long term to me.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I want a Gat Gun again. Great for shooting your mates in the **** at school.

Otherwise, will settle for a C8.

Or will continue to live in UK and just not bother with weapon fantasy.

Anyway, surely this should be 'Rifle Talk'? Guns are artillery.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I want a Gat Gun again. Great for shooting your mates in the **** at school.

Otherwise, will settle for a C8.

Or will continue to live in UK and just not bother with weapon fantasy.

This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun:)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Ha ha! Awesome! That was in 'Full Metal Jacket', wasn't it?

I used to get a good telling off from a colleague who was Royal Artillery if I said 'gun' when I should have said 'rifle'.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Nope, that a piece of nonsense invented by someone with more volume than knowledge.

A gun is

a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force

A rifle has rifling to impart spin to the projectile.

All rifles are guns.

Not all guns are rifles.

Shotguns (as discussed in this thread) are guns (the clue is in the name), but they are not rifles.

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ha ha! Awesome! That was in 'Full Metal Jacket', wasn't it?

I used to get a good telling off from a colleague who was Royal Artillery if I said 'gun' when I should have said 'rifle'.

I think so. I've seen it a couple of times since then as well.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, that a piece of nonsense invented by someone with more volume than knowledge.

A gun is

A rifle has rifling to impart spin to the projectile.

All rifles are guns.

Not all guns are rifles.

Shotguns (as discussed in this thread) are guns (the clue is in the name), but they are not rifles.

Red

Some shotguns over here now are sold with rifled barrels for deer hunting (with slugs or sabots) in areas where rifles are illegal (due to population density a rifle would have to much range and thus be to dangerous) Even more common at the moment what's even more common are rifled chokes for the shotguns with interchangeable choke systems. And some artillery is rifled as well so actually the definition may even be more blurred.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Agreed. In effect I think it is clear

If it goes bang and shoots a projectile down a tube, its a gun

If it spins that projectile, it is rifled (although not necessarily "a rifle" which implies a man portable shoulder fired weapon).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE