Gummed up Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
I've given in and bought myself a Kelly Kettle, a 2.5 pint one from Outdoorcode on Ebay, a bargain too, problem is i've tried it out using some pine off cuts, left over form wood working projects, and the funnel inner is covered in what can only be pine tar.
It's all got a bit sticky, and the base gets wedged in and bound by the tar, when stowed, so it's a pain in the derrier.

Any hints on how to sort it out, I was thinking, just use it more, but burn hard wood instead, maybe it'll clear the tar out???

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think that's how they all look over time - it is the inside of a chimney after all! :D Maybe scrape off the bit at the bottom if it annoys you, maybe put on some washing up liquid before the next time and that bit should stay a little bit cleaner. I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
grab a handful of leaf litter and wipe around the the rim (oo err missus!) of the kettle. Normally if this won't clean off the resin, then it will coat it in dust that will then not stick tothe base :)

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Yeah, it happens. Don't sweat it too much.

If you do feel the need to clean it, track down some decarbonising agent. (betterware et all seem to be good sources). That'll soon clean it. Stink the place out, but clean it.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you're desperate to keep your kettle chimney spotless try removing the sooty tar with something like White Spirit or Turps.
To be honest, my battered old Kelly Kettle has a build up in it that is probably 3 times as thick as the aluminium that it's on. To stop sooty dust falling out of the top when the kettle is in my pack I simply use a small branch like a shotgun "pull-through", feeding the stick up from the bottom and then twizzling it about with the twigs and leaves in the chimney bit of the kettle. This removes enough of the loose muck to keep my pack relatively clean. I don't worry about the tar. I figure the day that I get a "chimney fire" because of it, it will simply mean that my water will boil even quicker! :lmao:

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks very much everyone for your replies, I guess I was just panicking a bit, thinking I'd gone and messed it up permanently, but it seems it's just bedding itself in.

Some good tips there if I do decide to make it shiny bright again, but I think I'll leave it, and maybe just give it a rub down with some leaves (Thanks Dave) or maybe a pull through with a small branch (Thanks Longstrider).

Thanks again, all your replies are much appreciated.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Mine has seen a lot of use and the fire tray is all wonky and the chimney is quite sooty.

Scraping the inside of the chimney with a stick gets the worse of it off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE