Gum Turpentine Health Benefits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon

Elen Sentier

Found this ... http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turpentine-kerosene.html

It says "Though there is a long tradition of its use as an anti-fungal, pest killer, and first aid treatment in folk medicine, ingesting kerosene can be deadly in large enough quantities." I recall parents using it for external fungus - eg athlete's foot - and there is a faint memory of being given a spoonful for something, can't recall what!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
People in the horse world have used this since time immemorial to treat fungal infections in hooves etc., applied topically in the form of Stockholm Tar, and an extremely efficaceous remedy it is, too. But to ingest it in the form of pure turps is a new one on me. It does sound worthy of further investigation though, and I'm going to do some in-depth reading thios week.....Thanks for the tip!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Found this ... http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turpentine-kerosene.html

It says "Though there is a long tradition of its use as an anti-fungal, pest killer, and first aid treatment in folk medicine, ingesting kerosene can be deadly in large enough quantities." I recall parents using it for external fungus - eg athlete's foot - and there is a faint memory of being given a spoonful for something, can't recall what!

well I did wonder about taking it internally, but it is just a processed alcohol, I think it would be fine for external use though, and of course anything can kill you if you have enough of it, alcohol, salt and many many other things...

thanks for the advise Elen....:)

That sounds good Mac, I thought the same, even if it turns out pine oil will work well for things etc, its worth looking into and as i said to Elen, its just a processed alcohol so in limited doses should be no worse than drinking a sip of vodka, but of course Elen is right in the fact medically this is not advised, i stumbled across it and thought i would share.

insistently, the doses talked about are 5-8 ml per day, so very little, worth further investigation though????

chris.

xylaria

The stockholm tar sold for horses is vet grade, it has the turpentine removed. Turps is not safe for application to the skin of any animal.

Mild acid [urine, cider vinegar, yogurt] kills candida. Any oil effects how fungal infections spread on the skin or epiphelial tussue. I mean any oil, cooking oil, mineral oil kerosene whatever the hyphae cant spread, the fungis stops reproducing. Candida is not a bacteria it is fungus. It is only found in the gut if your gut is seriously disfuctional, a normal gut has enough healthy bacteria to batter candida.

Pine tar soap works on skin issues becuase the pine tar reacts to form aspirin like compounds when mixed with lye. It is quite a fast reaction as anyone that has made pine tar soap can vouch. Aspirin is anti kerolic, and anti inflamitory.

I would not have kerosene near my skin.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now, I've been using Stockholm Tar all my life, and I never knew the turps was gone from it; I'm always amazed by the depth of knowledge to be found here and I learn loads all the time............off for another read!

Thanks for the info, xylaria............

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
kerosene is *not* processed alcohol, it is a petrochemical distillate, something between diesel and petrol in molecular weight.

Don't drink it in any quantity.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
kerosene is *not* processed alcohol, it is a petrochemical distillate, something between diesel and petrol in molecular weight.

Don't drink it in any quantity.

no very true but turpentine is if im not mistaken which is what i was referring to, please feel free to correct me if i am mistaken...

xylaria

no very true but turpentine is if im not mistaken which is what i was referring to, please feel free to correct me if i am mistaken...

turpentine is a distillate too, it is mix of a lot of different chemicals that are evaporated out of wood resin. Natural turps has a lot of very useful an interesting chemicals, mostly they are not alcohols though, but terpenes.

***I made an error in an earleir post in this thread, it is creosote that is removed from stockholm tar not turpentine. I knew it was something my dad would keep in the tool cupboard. Natural turps has an insect repellent in it, and quite a few phenol type [think TCP] antiseptics.

I still wouldnt drink it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE