Guide to Navigating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Genty

Tenderfoot
I've just finished updating the handouts I use for Navigation training and thought I'd share them here:
(I've had to post a link as I can't upload files? - sorry)

Navigation Guide

I hope this is an appropriate place to put this thread - I was looking for a handy Nav thread to tag onto in the interest of continuity.

Feel free to use them (or bin them!). Comments welcome.

Genty

Tenderfoot
Thanks guys. What I am trying to do is build a set of useful resources all in one place. I am working on one for Access & Conservation for the Outdoors & Exped section. I'll give you a heads up when that's ready if you think there would be interest.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Genty, a good handout there mate. Dont forget that the rules for magnetic variation are not as simple as grid to mag add etc. It will depend on the grid magnetic angle being East or West of grid North at the start. The way I remember it is that you are always calculating towards North (0 degrees) on the compass. For a westerly GMA you will make the figure larger and for an Easterly GMA the figure will get less.

I hope this helps.

Genty

Tenderfoot
Smarty. Good point! That's the danger of sticking your head above the parapet sometimes when you make an bold sweeping statement or present an 'expert' opinion. I've just been metaphorically pinged on the forehead!

But then again, this is one of the reasons I was happy put it out there - to help me find the mistakes. I will amend that bit.

Thanks.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Absolutley fantastic, thanks!
Ive been planning on realy learning this, as its one thing i openly admit im useless at. I'll have a good read through that info.
Cheers Genty,
Dan.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks for this, it contains lots of useful additions to my limited navigating skills.

All I have to contribute are nitpicks of the nitpickest kind:

Ptolmey - Ptolemy
2AD - (Ptolemy lived from ca. 90AD to 168 AD says Wikipedia)
25000 - 25,000
50000 - 50,000
three times shorter, narrower - three times as short, as narrow
one is smaller - one triangle is smaller
25:000 - 25,000
The layout of the compass version/attachment table
your lost - you're lost
aiming off: left <-> right
keep you map - keep your map

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i think ive got a little book somewhere with that in it butthis is a much better version thanks for sharing regards dave

Genty

Tenderfoot
All I have to contribute are nitpicks of the nitpickest kind:

Believe it or not, these are the bits I really appreciate people spotting. Bad grammar REALLY bugs me (there, they're, their, who's whose.. aarrgghh!) But I can't spell to save my life!

Should I feel twice as bad as these mistakes have been spotted by some whose English is their second language? Lol

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Genty, Im finding your instructions on this very clear and understandable! Its proving fantastic for a beginner like myself. However, I'm struggling to understand the 'magnetic variation'.

Also, something i've been thinking, is how you would use natural navigation, i.e. the north star, shadow stick etc, to accuratley make and follow a bearing? Do they represent magnetic north, true north, celestial north even :confused:

cheers,
Dan.

Genty

Tenderfoot
HI Mate

Thanks for the kind words. As I say, I use it when delivering courses so if you have got the gist of it just from reading it without anyone talking you through it you are doing well!

The first thing about Mag Variation is it is quite advanced and it is perfectly appropriate to navigate without it in most eareas of the UK. It is used in "Micro-Nav" pinpoint navigation used in orienteering, Mountain Leader training and the army.

Regarding Magnetic Variation: Beneath the earth's solid crust is molten lava which is fluid and - because of it's high iron contect - magnetically charged. The iron particles align themselves N-S as they are free to move to some degree..all be it very s...l...o...w...l...y. It is the point somewhere towards the top of the earth that all compasses point because they too are following the arths magnetic alignment.

However...

Because the magma is fluidand the earth is spinning and other after effects of the formation of the universe all that time ago the location of the magnetic north pole does wonder about a bit under the earth's crust. This is very slow, and as it has been studies for quite some time we can predict in which direction it is moving and haw fast so we can account for it.

Remember, when an area of land is surveyed for a map it is only accurate on that day, not necessarily when it is printed and distributed and certainly not ten years down the road!

If you look at the legend of an OS map you will see a little bit about Magnetic Variation which tells you what you do. The info on magnetic variation differs on whichever map you are using depending on the map's area and when it was printed so check each time.

Lets look at an example:

The info in the legend says:

Magnetic north varies with place and time. The direction for the centre of the sheet is estimated at 3 degree 11 minutes (21 mils) west of grid north for July 2010.

Annual change is about 1/2 degree east.

So lets just say 3 degrees.

I take a bearing from my map (grid) and I look for the feature on the real world using the compass (mag) so I add the 3 degrees to make my map relate to the real world a bit better.

If I find a feature on the horizon and I want to use it to see where I am on the map, I take a bearing to the feature using the compass (mag) and place it on the map (grid) and get rid of the 3 degrees to make my bearing relate to my map.

That last bit...Annual change is about 1/2 degree east. tells me the compass will point to magnetic north which is slightly west of grid north (that's the mag variation) but it is moving east; therefore next year the mag variation I have to use will be 2.5 degrees, not three. And in 6 years there will be no magnetic variation to worry about!

Hope this hasn't confused you further.

For a recent discussion on natural nav. Have a look here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE