Guess what this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Looks like fudge or toffee to me. Probably chocolate fudge.
I'm planning to make some tomorrow. Mine will be white chocolate and coconut rum. Delicious!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm sure it will be delicious but you are 100% wrong. No chocolate involved!
:) I have chocolate on the brain at the moment ! (as well as in my tum) I'm making a lot of Xmas goodies . Most involve chocolate.
I love the way nothing is wasted and you get two products from the one boil up. Way to go!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Medlars. So delicious, so forgotten!

It will be delicious with any meat!

( I do not like sweet things with cheese)

I wish I would live closer to you. We could swap (tree ripened) Star Fruit sauce to your Medlar.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks beautiful, Spandit :D
I still think good jellies shine like jewels of Summer past sitting in the pantry :)

Do the medlars go thick and jelly like the way the quince does ?

31764243215_2ff13c1a8e_c.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes, it sets pretty firm. From what I know, my medlar tree is grafted on a quince rootstock so they must be closely related. The medlar cheese didn't set so going to have to tip it back into a pot and boil it again. The jelly set beautifully in the jar - don't know if it would be firm enough to cut shapes but I have a dehydrator and I bet they're tasty sweets

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We've made the curd now. My wife doesn't think it tastes good but I disagree. Will be interesting to see how it tastes when cold and set, though. The medlar cheese didn't set so I'm going to remelt it and give it a bit more heat

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bump

I have some Medlars growing near me , I'm checking on a regular basis to ensure that they don't go past the point of no return into a sack of mush.

If I take the fruit off the tree early - and leave in a windowsill , will it still ripen / blet ???

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bump

I have some Medlars growing near me , I'm checking on a regular basis to ensure that they don't go past the point of no return into a sack of mush.

If I take the fruit off the tree early - and leave in a windowsill , will it still ripen / blet ???

We all know you’re going to create a weird and masterful feast and eat them anyway :D

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Bump

We have a small medlar tree with some fruit. The fruit have turned a golden colour but are still hard. I’m going to take the fruit off in the next few days. From what I’ve read, they need to be placed with the, er, open end down on a tray in a dark cool place. Then check them every few days until they have started to soften. When you can push your thumb into them and there’s a strong appley scent they are ready to eat or cook with.

Fingers crossed :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE