Grrrrrrrr!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I took my two sons, my brother and his two children down the woods today (the kids are all under 7 :) ) I headed for a favourite spot and was a bit disappointed to find a tent pitched relatively close by in the bushes but hey its a free country so we settled down to do our own thing (Fire, Sausages, making wooden forks etc.). It soon became obvious that the tent was unoccupied and I wondered when the owners might return. A liberal scattering of empty cans and beer bottles gave me a good indication as to the character of the owner/s so I readied myself for a bit of a ruck when they eventually returned. After a couple of hours I decided to have a bit of a closer look and was disgusted to find that a make do latrine had been in operation less than five feet from the entrance of the tent (I won't go into detail but there was toilet paper presnt :yuck: ) and a fire had been burnt at the base of a mature oak causing very severe scorching to the trunk. There were several empty condom wrappers scattered around the floor and half burnt plastic bottles. My brother and I deduced that the owners would in fact not be returning as they had abandoned the tent along with a manky old duvet inside. Why do people have to do this?

Despite this situation we all had a great day and all returned stinking of woodsmoke :D

I am going to return to the spot and clear up over the next few days but I fear the poor old Oak is beyond help now - Scumbags :cussing:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
In the country park near where I lived in GB we once had a reenactment (god that's a clumsy sentence) We had permission to camp yet noticed a huge bonfire over the other side of the woods. On closer inspection it was a load of drunk and stoned kids screwing around. The warden said it was the same almost every weekend and for the summer holidays :( :( :(

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have heard, second hand, that Forestry Commission and estate workers often come across empty tents and become concerned that someone is missing. The usual explanation is that with tents being now as low as £9.99, some people just abandon them to save themselves the work of taking them down. :(

I am not a particularly neat and tidy person, but after a trip away I quite enjoy drying the tent, cleaning the boots, washing the billies etc. It is a vaguely satisfying ritual, and its good to know the kit is ready to go for the next trip.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Silverback said:
I took my two sons, my brother and his two children down the woods today (the kids are all under 7 :) ) I headed for a favourite spot and was a bit disappointed to find a tent pitched relatively close by in the bushes but hey its a free country so we settled down to do our own thing (Fire, Sausages, making wooden forks etc.). It soon became obvious that the tent was unoccupied and I wondered when the owners might return. A liberal scattering of empty cans and beer bottles gave me a good indication as to the character of the owner/s so I readied myself for a bit of a ruck when they eventually returned. After a couple of hours I decided to have a bit of a closer look and was disgusted to find that a make do latrine had been in operation less than five feet from the entrance of the tent (I won't go into detail but there was toilet paper presnt :yuck: ) and a fire had been burnt at the base of a mature oak causing very severe scorching to the trunk. There were several empty condom wrappers scattered around the floor and half burnt plastic bottles. My brother and I deduced that the owners would in fact not be returning as they had abandoned the tent along with a manky old duvet inside. Why do people have to do this?

Despite this situation we all had a great day and all returned stinking of woodsmoke :D

I am going to return to the spot and clear up over the next few days but I fear the poor old Oak is beyond help now - Scumbags :cussing:

They should all be F-in Hung drawn an bloody quartered, Disrespectful imbessiles. probably a bunch of smack heads the lot of them!!:cussing:

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Silverback said:
but I fear the poor old Oak is beyond help now

You may well find that the tree will fully recover...... most British trees are not easily destroyed by fire. Here's hoping anyway! Good on you for going and clearing up!

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Education is the only answer, if they bothered to set up a camp there almost there !, I know what your saying, its hard to make people feel the same way as
you and i, but the only way to make it happen is to maybe speak to them about it.
Reckless abandon and youthfull exuberance is something we all remember, young or old, Experience is something we learn, made all the better by people
we respect and listen too. I think you'd do a good job.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
i think its sad how people have no respect for things these days. shocking.

i remember a good couple of years ago, i must have been about 10 or 11 i was in a park wuite near to my house, the park had a small wooded area in it so being a kid me and my freinds went in for a wander and found a cheap tent there with suringes lying aound it and beer cans, its rediculous how people have no thought for others and nature.

also be carefull when cleaning the mess up just incase.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some people are just plain dirty B******.

What kind person thinks it ok to chuck nappies in to hedgerow. Needles condoms, sanitary towels, they are clinical waste!!!

I have heard a story of group of Romanies following some smackheads back to their house and then empting out their kitchen waste on to floor of the smackheads house to educate them :D . The Romanies were rounded up and given 3 months prison each :( .

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
last summer we as a family went for a short stroll along part of the offas dyke trail.off a side shoot there was 2 interior doors on 4 trestles covered in candle stubs a knackered tarp above it and a plastic fuel can.i couldnt work out if it was a rave site or voodoo.but i picked the trestles up and missus had the can and we walked back to the car and i took them home.threw the can out and gave the trestles away to handymen.so i done my little bit to help tidy it up.i try to install the same in my kids and woe betide if they try and drop a crisp packet or juice carton on the ground.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
GlenM said:
Education is the only answer, if they bothered to set up a camp there almost there !, I know what your saying, its hard to make people feel the same way as
you and i, but the only way to make it happen is to maybe speak to them about it.
Reckless abandon and youthfull exuberance is something we all remember, young or old, Experience is something we learn, made all the better by people
we respect and listen too. I think you'd do a good job.

well said glen, unfortunately some people just aren't made aware of the consequences of such sillyness, nevermind being taught to care. to me, its seems almost a privelege to have the kind of knowledge and foresight that is cultured on this forum. there is little point in getting angry at folk, they definitely won't change there ways if you rant at them. gentle persausion always seems to work best.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
GlenM said:
Education is the only answer, if they bothered to set up a camp there almost there !, I know what your saying, its hard to make people feel the same way as you and i, but the only way to make it happen is to maybe speak to them about it.

I disagree. Education only works when someone wants to be educated. As one comedian in the US says: " You can't fix stupid." :D

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
I think Education IS the only answer, so I'm with you on this one Glen! The real question is how!

Some people respond to gentle words of an encouraging nature indicating the foolish errors they have made, they take this new found wisdom and make the world less traumatic for the rest of us.

Other simply need the good old behavioral therapy. This can be graduated from shouting at the idiots or a near fatal beating a few times. Eventually they will learn.

The only other trick is people who respect the natural surrounding being brave and tactful enough to try and approach those who are reckless.

Adam

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Education is all good and well, if it's a generally reasonable person who's causing the problem.

As this is a family forum, I won't mention my philosophy for dealing with the unreasonable ones... :tapedshut

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
They have been educating people in the US for years on using drugs and drug addiction. All we have now are very educated crack heads and the worst drug problem of any country. People will do what they want to do because the vast majority are selfish and do not care about anyone or anything else. If education was the answer there would be no need for prisons or stiff fines for violating laws. All you would need to do is just educate everyone. Right! The only ones that would benefit would be thoughs like us who actually care.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
3Please said:
I think Education IS the only answer, so I'm with you on this one Glen! The real question is how!

Some people respond to gentle words of an encouraging nature indicating the foolish errors they have made, they take this new found wisdom and make the world less traumatic for the rest of us.

Other simply need the good old behavioral therapy. This can be graduated from shouting at the idiots or a near fatal beating a few times. Eventually they will learn.

The only other trick is people who respect the natural surrounding being brave and tactful enough to try and approach those who are reckless.

Adam

I take it you haven't read the paper this week ref youth crime - the broad spectrum of youths across the country don't want to be the sort of upstanding citizens that we want them to be, instead they look up to the scum of the earth as role models and think that if they can act like them then they will be RESPECTED by their peers. This is the state of our society today, all we can do is try to protect our own children from the appalling influences of the scumbags who think they RULE the streets!

Just my pennies worth!!

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
:sigh: May Be your right! Perhaps some people can't be taught.

A thought though :thinkerg: These people could be provide a great way to test our tracking , trapping and hunting skills.

There is little or no hope in the world, so I will go lock myself away and dedicate my live to make the world's largest wooden spoon. ( :D This may take some time, I haven't mastered the toothpick yet.)

Just remember, in all the media haze that everyone is so caught up in these days, it only shows the bits that they want us to see. I have done plenty of work with youngsters who are kicked out of school and have been arrested more times than I have had hot dinners (and that's alot.) I have been pleasantly surprised to find that most just need a bit of encouragement and a bit of attention and they come on along way, ie get a job, start college course and stay out of trouble.

I am convinced that there is something of interest to almost everyone and this site shows how diverse the word "Bushcraft" is and how people have been inspired to try something they might not have done, me included.

Don't judge a book by it's cover or you may miss the secret's within it's pages, and let's just hope the secrets are good ones.
:lmao: :240: (Sorry if this is soppy, recovering from being attacked on the weekend and I think the medication is messing with my mind).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE