Growing Inca Berries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone had success / experience of growing Inca berries? for a single season or more?

I have some reasonably healthy looking small plants and will be planting them out soon , just wondering of anyone has had results of them passing unharmed through winter?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Like tomatoes. Only supposed to grow them annually. If growing long term, they may struggle with our winters...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just once... last year, also known as the cape gooseberry. or Physallis Didn't rate em much to be fair. Was growing them with tomatillos, which were higher produces, (similar crop) but still not that great... though i did learn that they should be left to collapse and let the stem re root to get a better crop.

Aqcuired taste i suppose.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've over wintered them successfully in a greenhouse. They die back to the ground (or pot) but re-grow in the spring. Long invasive tendrils like bindweed.

I can sort you some mature plants TeeDee if yours don't over winter

Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers guys , I'll give them a go and see how I get on.

Red , as ever very generous of you. I'll be in touch if it all go's pear shaped.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Big Pot dude...BIG. Bucket size as a minimum! The damn things run - don't restrict them, let them - you can divide the next year. B&Q buckets are a quid - drill a few holes!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Physallis .... chinese lanterns ?

They're easy. You just grow them in a pot or a sunny bit of the garden that drains :rolleyes: not mine that means, and let them get on with it. They come up every year.

Is this a variety that is heavy fruiting that you're talking about ?

cheers,
M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Physallis .... chinese lanterns ?

They're easy. You just grow them in a pot or a sunny bit of the garden that drains :rolleyes: not mine that means, and let them get on with it. They come up every year.

Is this a variety that is heavy fruiting that you're talking about ?

cheers,
M

I was more wondering if they would return year upon year as they should in the UK? I'm not sure of our winters will kill them off if they are outside.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They even invade my brother's lawn :)

Sunshine, draining soil, but not dry, iimmc and they seem to grow a bit like the hootenanny stuff...I think that should be spelled houtiania ? invasive blasted thing anyway. At least the Chinese lanterns are pretty things in the house over Autumn :D

Heavy cropping variety would be rather nice though :D
The ordinary ones don't die easily up here, so I reckon you'd be pretty safe in Exeter :dunno:
Give them a shot I suppose :D
If the dried berries are pretty fresh will their seeds not grow ? It's amazing what's sold as food that will grow.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE