Grouse hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
It's been a while, to say the least, since I've been visiting BCUK so I thought I'd bring something to the table.

Here are some pics from the now annual grouse hunt with my cousin. We tried our luck outside of Jokkmokk.

IMG_20200826_143902.jpg

We had all types of weather, more or less....no snow though, even if it was below zero during the nights118492244_249386566132551_6946288103394555148_n.jpg
Brr.....

IMG_20200825_060010.jpg
One of few instances when we didn't walk in marches and the like...

IMG_20200826_172500.jpg
I have added 40 mm to the stock, since it seems I don't quite fit the mold..

IMG_20200827_095928.jpg
Carat, a Breton, was outstanding....

IMG_20200828_083930.jpg
Our modest haul.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Excellent. I have been grouse shooting once in the UK and the politics make it a very different activity from over in Scandinavia.

Time spent out in nature understanding what you are part of is an immense experience. Yours looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was going to say something similar. Grouse shooting as opposed to grouse hunting over here. Lived on the edge of ribble valley and used to cycle over to the forest of Bowland in school holidays. Not too keen on the attitudes of those shooting estates. Even after CRoW act they still did their bit to make access difficult. Mono culture too effectively.

Plus don't mention the bird symbol for the forest of Bowland neither. Are there many left? I did hear one of the last breeding ones disappeared. One day they were getting data from its tracker, the next there was no longer any trace of the tracker at all. Believed to have been poisoned and the body plus tracker destroyed.

Anyone know more about the differences between British grouse shoots such as in the FoB and Scandinavian grouse hunts? Just curious. It seems from the photographs Scandinavia hunts grouse in more natural conditions in a proper hunt not a shoot.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I was going to say something similar. Grouse shooting as opposed to grouse hunting over here. Lived on the edge of ribble valley and used to cycle over to the forest of Bowland in school holidays. Not too keen on the attitudes of those shooting estates. Even after CRoW act they still did their bit to make access difficult. Mono culture too effectively.

Plus don't mention the bird symbol for the forest of Bowland neither. Are there many left? I did hear one of the last breeding ones disappeared. One day they were getting data from its tracker, the next there was no longer any trace of the tracker at all. Believed to have been poisoned and the body plus tracker destroyed.

Anyone know more about the differences between British grouse shoots such as in the FoB and Scandinavian grouse hunts? Just curious. It seems from the photographs Scandinavia hunts grouse in more natural conditions in a proper hunt not a shoot.
A lot of raptor persecution going on up at Leadhills, Alston and Knaresdale way as well.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hen harriers are I believe an endangered bird, not breeding very many places I think so losing a perfect territory like FoB because of shooting estates and illegality of raptor persecution is a real shame.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's been a while, to say the least, since I've been visiting BCUK so I thought I'd bring something to the table.

Here are some pics from the now annual grouse hunt with my cousin. We tried our luck outside of Jokkmokk.

Interesting, thanks. How does it work over there, does everyone have the right to shoot, do you buy a licence or something else? Is the land managed in any way for grouse? I also assume you use steel shot these days?

Most importantly, any more photos of Carat?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Well, the grouse hunt is carried out on government land (above the tree line) so it is more or less open to anyone. The hunting permits are open, but Swedes need to have Hunters training (Jägarexamen) in order to get a gun license and National hunting license (Statligt jaktkort) which is a pre-requisite.

However, there are limitations as to who are allowed to purchase a hunting permit. I think foreign hunters are barred, but I am not 100% on that. Also, there is a conflict between the government and the reindeer-owning Saami, as to who should get to govern the hunting and fishing in that part of Sweden. This muddies up the waters a bit...

The land is managed in a manner where the land is divided into smaller areas. Then different areas are allowed to a certain amount hunters (permits) per day. Also, there is a 8 bird bag limit. At least where I went. (www.natureit.se)

The way we hunt, is like 80% hiking. We carry all kit to the mountain. Hunt. Carries it back :). I know that some buy helicopter transportation, but I prefer to stay in a tent, eating freeze dried to a proper bed and three course dinners. Perhaps because the latter scenarion is pretty expensive :)

Went hunting jst outside my village (soooo much simpler permit wise) with Carat earlier today (Saw Capercaillie and Black Grouse, out of range :/), but unfortunately no pics....I might be able to arrange a video, tho

EDIT:
Perhaps not a text book example, regarding the dog or the handler ;) (The dog should stop when the birds take flight, and the handler should not shoot holes in the air)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our local grouse (Franklin's, Ruffed and Dusky) are forest birds. Lots of "hunting" and usually very little shooting.
Some seasons, there's a grouse behind every tree. Last year, I shot one Ruff.
We have the typical mandatory hunter education and firearms certification requirements. The resident hunting license is also a license to hunt "upland game birds" such as grouse and 3 kinds of ptarmigan, up top.
Management Zones are subdivided into much smaller Management Units which reflect the changing topography.
Away from fenced and/or posted land, everywhere is Crown Land (public access) so we hunt where ever it is safe to do so (staying away from hunting camps, etc.)
Hunting migratory waterfowl (ducks, cranes and geese) is a Federal thing.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster

View attachment 61382

We had all types of weather, more or less....no snow though, even if it was below zero during the nightsView attachment 61381
Brr.....

View attachment 61383
One of few instances when we didn't walk in marches and the like...

View attachment 61384
I have added 40 mm to the stock, since it seems I don't quite fit the mold..

View attachment 61385
Carat, a Breton, was outstanding....

View attachment 61386
Our modest haul.
Nice shotgun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE