Group Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Hope this is the right forum.

It's a group shelter that I've built. Best told in pictures. Be happy to answer any questions if there are any.

shelterplan.jpg

1. The plan. Blue dots are upright posts. Green lines are cross bars and the red dot is the fire pit. Each green bar (except the doorway at the bottom) is 6' long. The uprights are about 5'.

GSgroundplan.jpg

2. The ground plan. Total length is about 18' and width about 14' at the widest part.

GSbasicstructure.jpg

3. Uprights and crossbars.

GSbackframe.jpg

4. Back sticked.

GSsticksside.jpg

5. Side Sticked.

GSfinishedfront.jpg

6. Leafed.

GSfinishedabove.jpg

7. From above the doorway (stood on a stool).

parachute.jpg

8. The icing on the cake.

GSparachuteside.jpg

9. From the side.

The firepit has slate and bricks buried underneath, then a sheet of metal, and an inch or so of soil ontop of that. With the parachute it's very warm in there.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Nice work dude, thats a beast of a shelter, I bet its great to wake up with the roof of though,

Cheers Southey. It would be great to have it open but it's not leafed enough yet to keep the rain out plus, in winter, all the heat would just vanish up in the air. I am thinking of maybe cutting the parachute from the bottom up so that the front (which is south facing) can be opened up. Might help the chute to fit better too as it's not quite the right size for the shape of the shelter.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Very impressvie.
What was it like to use and how many used it ?

Cheers Resnikov. I love using it especially on my own as there's soooo much space to spread out. Not sure how many have ued it before. I think the largest group may have been five. I've used it with two others but you could have 10 sit in it if you cleared out some of the junk that's accumulated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE