Groundsheets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I usually use tyvek for groundsheets below my hammock etc, but im wanting to do more bivying this winter, and i dislike the tyvek for bivvying. Id prefer something softer to the touch and quieter, and preferably not plasticy.

Googles not giving an awfulI lot of help, but i did find this image, not sure what sort of material it is though.Looks more like what im looking for however.
Wayland-Shelter-2.jpg

I do have a snugpack jungle blanket, but its only water repellant, so i think the insulation would get soaked through on wet ground. Could just use the tyvek and then the blanket on top, but wondering what other options there are.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I recommend you don't use an IPK sheet - they are like sleeping on Teflon coated material.

I have struggled to find the right strong, lightweight, non slip ground sheet as well. Last time I was out I used a cheap service station picnic blanket, waterproof one side and cloth the other. The problem is it's only just big enough.

I watch with genuine interest for what others propose.

Cheers,

Broch

Last edited:

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
I'd like an alternative to the ipk sheet too, they're ok until you kneel on them and moisture soaks straight through.....

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Various tent manufacturers offer tent “footprints”, which are sheets of waterproof material in various shapes and sizes...ideal for ground sheets.

My tent footprint has a hydrostatic head of 20,000 mm if I remember correctly, and is an ideal groundsheet.
927849ce2eb96f524529e3696ecc1354.jpg
89e330c45b33bad8a8f0d169cdc251af.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I have used the (plastic) MOD Issue Hessian doubled over and taped at the seams before as a groundsheet. It can hold water but equally it's not quite waterproof so can breathe a bit. Still, not bad in extremis.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I use a roll of the aluminiumised bubble wrap sheeting, sold for loft insulation.
It is bulky, but pretty light. And gives an extra noticeable bit of insulation. May not tick the 'not plasticy' box for you though.
The width as supplied from places like B&Q, if fine for putting under a sleeping bag. I use an offcut of IPK for putting the rest of my bits and pieces on, mainly to keep them from getting lost in the leaf litter.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

You are going to struggle to get away from plasticky if you want waterproof, lightweight.and durable.

I've been using the German surplus ground sheets for several years and although they are a bit plasticky the ripstop mesh weave does create a less slippery surface.
I wish that I had been issued with them back in the day, they fold up quite neatly and extend the 'dry' area around an insulation mat fairly well.
When I bought mine they were only a few quid each. You may have to search wide for them now especially one that isn't peppered with tiny holes from careless use of stoves/fires. (see image 1.)

I've modded such ground sheets, self inflating mats, bivvy bags and even sleeping bags with loops at side and corners so that if necc I can anchor each or all of them with a peg if there is even the slightest gradient where I bivvy up. (see image 2. for example).

Of course, where body heat is concerned 'the ground sucks!' and so prep of your site and where possible the build up of any natural insulating material will help with that and create depressions that fit your body shape also helping to limit sliding around as you sleep.

1. BW Groundsheet.jpg 2. groundinsmat.jpg

Attachments

• groundinsmat.jpg
    groundinsmat.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Insel Affen

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I have nothing against plastic's, just i dislike sitting on my current Tyvek groundsheets and was looking for something a bit softer/nicer to the touch. Everything so far does indeed look a bit plasticy, but i may just end up using something like them, and stick my travel blanket over them. Considered perhaps trying to attach polycro or some other thin waterproof layer to one side of the blanket to keep it together and keep the blanket dry.

I did stumble across this though when looking at some of the canvas type bedrolls. ( No link, this isnt a long scam to sell welding curtains ;) )

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/parwel...J7pTB1wIVir_tCh0WqgbVEAQYAyABEgLy1_D_BwE#tabs
https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/parwel...J7pTB1wIVir_tCh0WqgbVEAQYAyABEgLy1_D_BwE#tabs
I wonder if something like this would do.
I saw something similar at work a few years ago, and i think it would possibly be waterproof enough. But i cant remember what it felt like, looks quite plasticy/shiny in the picture but i forget what canvas feels like. Need to hunt down a bit tommorow and grope it.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Plus one for the german army groundsheet, I use a full length one to protect my inflatable mat on the rare occasion I ground dwell, and half of one as a landing mat when out in the hammock, when they get minging you can just chuck em in the washing machine on a cold wash.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
What about an old grade 2 surplus issue bivibag, modded into a groundsheet?

You should pick one up for a few quid from evil bay or somewhere.

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I recommend you don't use an IPK sheet - they are like sleeping on Teflon coated material.

I have struggled to find the right strong, lightweight, non slip ground sheet as well. Last time I was out I used a cheap service station picnic blanket, waterproof one side and cloth the other. The problem is it's only just big enough.

I watch with genuine interest for what others propose.

Cheers,

Broch

Someone told me about a waterproof picnic blanket today, so ive had a look. Found this one http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...MIkcCs69LD1wIVATwbCh2ZFASbEAQYAyABEgK-sPD_BwE
2M x1.7M and its only a tenner. Reckon ill buy one of these and see what its like.

Looks like it may be slightly bulky, and theres no weight listed, but i'll be carrying it in a kayak so not too big a concern for lightweight stuff.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's the kind of thing. The one I have is extremely lightweight and reasonably compact. I got mine from a motorway service station so a couple of quid less but I think a tenner is good value.

Cheers,

Broch

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Yeah i saw a few diffrent types which were more compact and lighter/thinner, but they were also smaller size wise. Probably try one of them during the summer, but the one above looks like what im looking for for winter use. Big enough to lie on and store some gear too.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
German army groundsheets seem to be very expensive even for used ones.

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Germ...653023?hash=item41cb000f5f:g:QdwAAOSwb~9Zb9uO
Aye Up,

I think that someone has overcooked this ad - those groundsheets are defo not insulating, perhaps they are getting mixed up with the narrower folding mat made of (slightly) expanded foam and do offer a degree of insulation.

The groundsheets that I bought cost a couple of quid, on the other hand the insulation mats are around 10 - 15 quid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE