Ground Hog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Well I'm a hammocker and do some times feel like a pupa but as Heimlich says in 'A Bugs Life' *, "Look I'm a beautiful butterfly" ( I look like him too!). But I do like the bug net on my Hennesey.
So how do you bivi bag and tarp people deal with midges? You never know I might try out the low life.
Alan

*or is it 'Antz'

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For Scotland or the tropics - a full on insecticide treated bug net!
For mild infestations - "Afterbite"
A smoky fire nearby helps, as does a 120 a day ciggie habit.....

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
For me it depends on where I'm going. In the forest here you really don't want to be on the ground, way too hostile.

Inthe scrub land you can sleep on the gound or in a hammock but locations are a mixed bag of small trees too far apart.

In the higher elevations there are no trees so I usually find some sheltered spot in the rocks and use a bivy/tarp.

I will say that I sleep much better inthe hammock. Lights out at 10 wake up at 3, look around, wake up at dawn. You gotta love that.

When I sleep on the ground its left side until goes numb, right side until goes numb, left side to numb, right side to numb, roll onto back, mouth open snore, bug falls in, sputter awake, fall into coma until dawn. Mac

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
When I sleep on the ground its left side until goes numb, right side until goes numb, left side to numb, right side to numb, roll onto back, mouth open snore, bug falls in, sputter awake, fall into coma until dawn. Mac

Pritty much sums up my experience of ground dwelling to.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I'm like others depends on where I am and who I'm with. With SHMBO tent, on my own hammock or tarptent, just got a bivie bag so will be trying that next. Location and walk/bike in sets the agenda...
jon

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I dont know which I prefer, never been in a hammock. I have a bad shoulder and I dont sleep on my back so to be honest I dont know if Id be comfier off the ground or not.

I think we have covered this loads of times before lol.

I've tried at a huge expense, everything from hammocks to different types of inflatable mats to foam mats over 30 years!

I've narrowed it down to 2 methods that work for me with my broken back.

1. Tree hugger- paradise hammock-long and wide , use with a wanderstar underblanket and a sleeping bag. Fantastic comfort, amazing sleep.

2. Slug- Traditional cotton/rubber single air bed ((£15) with a German army foldakipmat(£7) on top for insulation, then sleeping bag. Better than any thermarest, fat airic, down mat, just so much comfier than anything else other than a bed! :D

If anyone can show me comfier I'll eat my airbed! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE