Grohmann

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hey all.

The boat knife was reviewed by Gary on the ols site, but it rarely gets mentioned, why is it not as popular?

Im liking the look of the "offset" blade, and am intersted in getting one when im on more friendly terms with my bank balance!

I know there is a small secondary bevel on them, which is fine with me as im sure i can remove it if i don't like it.

It seems like an unusual and discreet knife :?:

It came up in the chat room the other day and I thought it may be interesting to see what sort of discussion arises...

Cheers.
Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jake I think they also do convex blades in the Grohmanns range which might interest you.

Good knives of a similar size to the North star.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I love Grohmanns! The steel is maybe not up to superstar expectations but they are easy to sharpen and my flat ground boat knife came with a tiny secondary bevel which I convexed and it will out cut a lot of knives I own even after it's "dull" to the touch. The Camper is another great one in their lineup.

Grohmann_pic1_v4.jpg

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have just picted up a Russell/Grohman #4 withstag handle and carbon blade as my road kill car knife, Ya i guess I'm from the north. :rolmao:
Nice knife though.
just a thought

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've recently recieved a kit version of the #1 and must say I'm impressed on first impressions although I will be convexing the edge.

If you want to save a bit of cash, get the kit version as they look easy to put together and are 25% less. Also bulk buying is a good idea (we did both on OMF)

I'm going to change the scales on mine so haven't properly used it yet but I'll post pics when I've got the scales on.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The offset handle is extremely comfortable. Much like a timber broadaxe, you can plane surfaces easier. There are a few old copies that were sold in the old Herters Catalog. They show up occassionaly on EBAY. The metallurgy is even worse. I never found cause to complain. Half the wonder steels today are in very tired grip designs.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Guys.

Tom, LMK the outcome...:biggthump

I reckon i'd prefer a full flat first, as it gives me the option of turning it into a full flat. I might just think about the kit!

Cheers!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Paganwolf said:
:rolmao:
:shock: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :rolmao: :ekt:

So.....I'm assuming you like Herter's knives... :?: :naughty: :eek:):

Lot's of folks made a version of the Russell belt knife. George Herter claimed he designed it. Russell may have had his input but I really don't know. Many of the Herter's knives were forged.

herterdhrbelt1.jpg

More Herters.
hertersbowiecook.jpg

hertersbowies2.jpg

hertersbowies3.jpg

hertersbowies4.jpg

herterskinners.jpg

As I understand it, for the longest time Grohmann was not even aware of the Herter's version of the Russell belt knife.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Jake Rollnick said:
Are they up to heavy duty wood work?

Jake, I've used a #3 Boat Knife for 5 years, up to just replacing it with a North Star. It's a sabre ground model I narrowed the secondary edge angle on. I've batoned it on numerous occasions,with no damage to the blade or handle. Blade thickness is around .125"

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I know this is about Grohman but I was wondering about the last knife Hoodoo posted if it was full tang or what?

dexter.jpg

This old Dexter I picked up is a half tang i got it at an auction while eeryone wasted time bidding on a fake Bowie i picked it up for $2.

By the way everone Grohman is have a great sale right now.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice skinner CR. Great price! I don't have the knife handy at the moment but I will check it tonight. I think it's half tang though. Looks like that in the pic.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks Ravenn...
Mind you, how am i supposedto make a decision like this?! With limited money, and the availablilty of a good custom for the same price, what to do, what to do! :roll: :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake Rollnick said:
Thanks Ravenn...
Mind you, how am i supposedto make a decision like this?! With limited money, and the availablilty of a good custom for the same price, what to do, what to do! :roll: :wink:

Good question Jake. No easy answer for you. I assume you already have some good bushcraft knives so you are just looking to experiment and add to your collection. Decisions like this always come down to want, not need. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE