Grohmann Bushcraft..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
They already exist as standard with a scandi grind.

See here for a short description/review made by one of our neighbours at the Song Of the Paddle forum.

/ Karl

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Hi Karl, thanks for the reply. I checked their website, and I think that model is actually the sabre ground one with second bevel... Looks like he convexed the one in the review.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Jimmy,

You seem to be implying that it needs to be scandi ground to be suitable for bushcraft?

i made a Grohmann up some time back. Flat ground with a secondary bevel (later convexed) and it was an excellent bushy tool.

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Hi Jimmy,

You seem to be implying that it needs to be scandi ground to be suitable for bushcraft?

i made a Grohmann up some time back. Flat ground with a secondary bevel (later convexed) and it was an excellent bushy tool.

Nope, not at all (not intentionally, anyway). I love Grohmann knives in all of their configurations, but would like to see one in the Scandi grind because that edge type works so much better on vegetation/wood, for me at least.
And the blade shape of the boat knife is just my favorite.

Regards,

Jim

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A good question from Jim here - sorry for coming in late. I wrote the Song of the Paddle review of the Grohman Boat Knife, and like Jim, I had wondered about modifying it to Scandi grind. However, I was worried that it would give it a very acute edge that would be too fragile for serious use.

Anyway, in the interest of research, I tried it.:) Nothing to loose but a bit of steel.:rolleyes:

It gives you a very sharp knife - it would be quite feasible to shave with it. However, as expected, the edge is fragile and a few minutes of batoning damaged the edge quite markedly.

I'm going to re-convex it again.

I am still very impressed with the Grohman though. It is light to carry, batons well, prepares game well, makes good fuzz sticks, does not rust, costs relatively little, and the sheath (when hot waxed) is robust and secure.I have an Alan Wood Woodlore, a Wilkinson Sword Woodlore and a Marbles Expert, but it's mostly the Grohman you will find on my hip when outdoors.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have used the Grohman #4 a lot and edge durability for bushcrafting is paramount, an edge that is configured to weak is of little value over all.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
the shape would work well with a scadi grind, but it would have to be made from scratch with the grind in mind

leon-1

I have made 3 of the Grohmann #3 knives from kit and the only thing I used was the blade, I love the knife, but it is probably a little thin to have as a true scandi grind, if it was made from slightly thicker stock it would be fine.

One thing I would like to mention here is that I like the knife as it is, with a slight convex it's a great little knife and it is a complete user for pretty much anything you wish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE