Grinding jigs to hold blade banks so bevels can be ground on to a new blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
New design - £20 as it's lighter
BevelGuide2.jpg

I was asked to make one of these by a blade maker.
It's made from plate as I couldn't source an off cut of 2" angle without buying 15' of it .
All new ones will be made from 50mm angle.
(Welding looks a little blobby as my mig welders playing up but well stuck :lmao::lmao:) - needs a new liner)

It holds a knife blank so you can grind the initial bevels on it.
It measures 50mm x 50mm x 120mm (2" x 2" x 4 3/4") ;)

M6 bolts are tapped into the bottom plate . They adjust the grind angle by altering the pitch of the jig and have locknut's on them to stop the pitch altering while grinding.
The backplate holds the blank holder.
The blank holder has M6 tapped holes with M6 bolts in them and held in place on the front plate with M6 nuts.
I reckon It could do with some rubber in between the blank and the steel to stop scratching but my bike doesn't need an new inner tube yet:lmao::lmao::lmao:

100_1737.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1738.jpg

100_1740.jpg

100_1739.jpg

If anyone wants one making, PM me please.
The price including postage etc (and made out of angle not plate) will be £25 (they weigh about 650grams)

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Here's the new one made from pre-formed iron
It has optional M6 wingnuts on the blade holder and the angle adjuster uses M8 bolts with locknut's (The steel has pre-drilled holes in it that take an M8x1.25 thread) ;)

BevelGuide2.jpg

BevelGuide.jpg

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Does the maker who commissioned you to make it get royalties ?:D

I'll think about this for a while.......................................................................................NO!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well, what I meant was that I have heaps of bits of scrap angle lying about the place so maybe I can put you a doggy bag together or something... :)
But where is Here Ged?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
But where is Here Ged?

Ah, good question! Even I don't know in advance sometimes. The steel is mostly about a mile from junction 28 on the M1 (so not very close to March) but I reckon we could do something with a kind of Pass The Parcel game at meets. At fifty quid a tonne or whatever it fetches now it wouldn't be worth shipping scrap metal around on a carrier but I can put a few bits in a box or something if you're interested. Maybe when the scrap bin gets full again I can take a photo and send it over (the photo, not the bin :)).

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Does the maker who commissioned you to make it get royalties ?:D

Ah, good question! Even I don't know in advance sometimes. The steel is mostly about a mile from junction 28 on the M1 (so not very close to March) but I reckon we could do something with a kind of Pass The Parcel game at meets. At fifty quid a tonne or whatever it fetches now it wouldn't be worth shipping scrap metal around on a carrier but I can put a few bits in a box or something if you're interested. Maybe when the scrap bin gets full again I can take a photo and send it over (the photo, not the bin :)).

Your a gent
If anyone closer has anything to clear, give me a shout please;)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Do you have a blade to put in to show how it holds in the jig? I am very interested in one with wingnuts as shown on the pic (that did not follow into my reply?!)

How much extra for shipping to sweden?

Cheers,
Karl-Erik
Have to look into shipping cost but it won't be much more

Have a look here. This one is similar. Its designed by Captain Jeff of CJS knives
[video=youtube;iNVFZC3FOkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNVFZC3FOkI[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE