grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
had to vote yes kill them as they arent native

however when i ran one over in my late teens i was devastated and all the blokes i worked with said was did i cut its tail off as a farmer would give me a shilling for it???

and im not that old they are

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Had to vote yes on this, in fact I believe they should bring in the same policy they had during 1930-1940's where there was a bounty on the producing of a tail to prove they had been shot. Although I do think it would need be done by responsible shooters and not rambo wannabe's:AR15firin

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet but there was something quite good (and witty) on radio four the other day.

HERE it is, so far I've only heard the first one and that was pretty good, dunno bout the second one yet.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
kill 'em - cook 'em - eat 'em!

cant say i have ever got one - but it will be straight in the pot if i do!

it is supposedly nicer than rabbit!

andy

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I came across this thread this morning and am surprised the initiatives to eradicate alien species taken in Scotland last year seem to have been missed. (Let's just hope that Scottish Nationalism goes no further than squirrels and knot-weed!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/10/grey-squirrels-cull-wildlife-conservation

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/f...lPriorities/Options/Controlofinvasivenon-nati

We'll see if it makes a difference, or whether it will be dropped with a change in the balance of power in our new-ish, and expensive, eyesore at Holyrood. (Our only hope is that Scottish MP's will be too busy bickering about ill fitting doors and windows, and desk sizes to do any real harm!)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i shoot quite alot with rifle and 12g and have had many of these litle critters.

they taste great like a gamey sort of lamb but are quite chewey and of course there is not much meat.......

id defo have some if there where to be a cull........

S

skoper

Hang on lets see,,the red squirrel has a specific diet,, certain trees etc,, the grey squirrel doesnt,,ok,,, we cut all the trees down that the red squirrel feeds on catastrophe/// so when the droves of grey squirrel condense into the woodland thats left, we can blame something else other than ourselves,, yes that seems about right,

Last edited by a moderator:
S

skoper

This is not so clean cut,,grey squirrels do untold damage to trees, and other things wooden,their teeth grow constantly like rabbits and rats , various other rodents,if you have land where rabbits squirrels are in pest proportions it is illegal for you not to do anything about them,, according to Defra, as for the culling of them ,sure when they are a pest, but not for the sake of plugging away at something because you own an airgun,, as for the bowhunting thing,, a bowhunter creates a situation, where he is guaranteed of a kill,he sets himself strict parameters, when it comes together the shot is taken, only when the target can be retrieved ,,indefinately,, a disciplin some shooters could learn a lot from

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
.... creates a situation, where he is guaranteed of a kill,he sets himself strict parameters, when it comes together the shot is taken, only when the target can be retrieved ,,indefinately,, a disciplin some shooters could learn a lot from

agreed a few people could do with learning that. but not all.

they're not called tree rats for nothing are they!? they kill trees by ring barking, and pinch eggs from our rapidly declining songbird population, not to mention that theyre an invasive alien species. lead is the answer, and the back half when cooked, shredded and put in some wraps with hoi sin or plum sauce taste amazing...

all the best,

wurz

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One thing I've noticed about the reds in the Lakes is how muscley they are. One jumped up a tree that was at the bottom of a retaining wall when I was at the top. It was in the tree branches level with me less than 1 metre away and on direct eye level. We had a little staring contest which the little bugger won. I did notice that it was twitchy like it was annoyed that I was in its territory. Also it looked like a muscle bound squirrel with bulging biceps bent out like a pitbull's. Jeez if the red was as big as the greys I reckon they'd send them packing. They look like tough little buggers. I was so close to that red squirrel that I could see the veins on the biceps! I have never really looked at them before but they are interesting characters. I think a more interesting species than the greys.

Of course in some areas I think you are in a losing battle but that is no reason not to fight the creep. In other areas such as parts of the Lakes the red is holding on but is under strain due to the inwards crep of greys. These areas operate a Red Squirrel watch. There are areas which have a zero greys policy around a known haven for the reds. These ringed areas use the goodwill of locals to report any greys seen and these are trapped or shot by people who know what they're doing. This is important because I do not advocate everyone getting an air rifle and going out shooting all the greys they see. I do think anyone who does want to help should contact organisations in their areas to find out how they can help. A friend lives in one area of red / grey conflict and she reports any greys as do her neighbours. She has a car sticker for the local organisation and also people in the area are highly motivated to protect their native reds.

When I was in Leeds the place was overun with greys. Those sorts of areas will never have red populations in my lifetime even if we culled ALL the greys. I think focus resources on areas of conflict between the species where you can make a difference. Even as simple as a number or email to contact to report greys so they can be caught or culled in those areas of reds is worthwhile and cheaper than going cross country in one go in a mass cull. There isn't the will or money to do that so perhaps a smaller start in supporting existing populations of red through local support with some national money or organisation. Keep these red populations as gene banks and work out into the areas overrun by greys. I doubt by culling Leeds based greys much good will be done but the same money used in Cumbria, parts of Scotland and the NE England would go an incredible way to helping the reds IMHO.

Old thread BTW.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Boston073, can you explain the history of red and grey squirrels in the US?

I thought this grey v red business was a strictly British issue: the red squirrel is native to the British Isles and to Europe while the grey squirrel is an American species which in the UK one day escaped from a private collection and ever since multiplied here.

As said here in other posts the grey squirrel is more adaptable and less fussy with his food than the native red squirrel so its progression was always to the detriment of and loss of territory for the red squirrel.

My question is: your post mentions a red squirrel in America and a problem there also between reds and greys;
Is your red squirrel the same species and the British/European species? If it is, is it native to the US or has it been imported by European settlers?

If both species are native to the North American continent and co-exist, they probably have their own long-established territories. If your red squirel is an "import", then it is remarkable that he could conquer any territory at all over his grey cousin.

The American Red Squirrel is a seperate species from the European Red Squirrel. It's propper name is "Fox Squirrel" and it is roughly twice the size of the Grey Squirrel (propperly called a "Cat Squirrel"). The Red (Fox) Squirrel also isn't always red; it is also sometimes black or a combination of black and red. They are both Native to North America and do have different environmental preferences. The Grey (Cat) squirrel prefers lowland near river systems with a good Mast (acorn) crop while the RED (Fox) Squirrel prefers higher hilltop forests with more pine cones for food although both will eat either. The Red (Fox) squirrel is declining here due to over harvest of it's preferred woodland habitat trees. No, the two species don't really compete but as far as their interaction go they co-exist. That is as long as they don't actually meet face to face. The much larger Red (Fox) Squirrel would deliberately kill it but for the smaller one's ability to climb higher and thinner branches to escape.

We also have a few other species of squirrels: The Chipmonk (a smaller squirrel) out West and the Flying Squirrel (no it doesn't actually fly but when it stretches its front legs forward and its rear legs back the loose skin between allows it to glide 100s of feet) along the Atlantic states. The Flying squirrel is also in decline but nobody has yet discovered why. It may be man-caused or it may be just at that point of its evolution. There are probably other species I'm not aware of. It is a big continent with widely varying ecosystems; from coastal marshes to deserts to mountains to river bottoms.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I must admit i have shot a few greys in my teens but in recent years i have gotten a little soft and find it hard to shoot something im not going to eat (tried it once and it put me off for life)

More recently i have been reading about the damage they cause to the native wild life and it seems like the native stuff needs a little help ;)

I think its time to dig out the old Weihrauch HW70 and see if i can help tip the scales a little . :AR15firin

Anyone have any nice recipies to hand for out doors prep/cooking ? If someone can actually make the little rats taste nice ill promise to do my bit :eek:

Even if you never eat them yourself (they ere delicious though) they are free and nutricious dogfood/catfood.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
they taste delicious its just very hard work skinning them and theres not a lot of meat for your effort
sudgest gutting first then just hatchet them in half peal the skin off the rear and just cook and eat that part

It's actually easier to skin them first. Just lift the loose skin at the nape of the neck and slit perpendicular to the neck. Then insert your fingers under the skin and peel it off like a glove. Done hundreds of them this way when I was a boy. Then slit the flesh from the breastbone back to the anus (careful not to cut it ir the genitals contaminating the meat) so you can reach inside the body cavity to pull out the guts. All that's left now is to cut off the head and feet then quarter the carcass. Dredge the pieces in in flour, fry (shallow pan fry) them and remove to drain. Saute sliced onions in the drippings then add flour to make a rouxe. Stir in water or stock to make a gravy and return the squirrel to the pan to simmer a bit. Serve with American style dumpling or biscuits. They are small so you do need 3 or 4 to have enough to "stink the gravy" as we say here. Of course you season and spice to your own taste before frying but we like either a simple salt and pepper or a Cajun seasoning. It's also better (but not required) if you can do your cooking in cast iron. It's just a Southern thing.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There was something on Radio 4 the other day about this, some people are saying that the cull is a waste of time and money, and that the reds are on their way out. Personaly I say kill em! but the greys are just better at squireling than the reds as far as diet goes the greys eat anything, and I didn't know this but reds eat pollen from plants and trees.

If it's true that the Reds eat pollen then it's probably a good thing. The Reds and native tree species evolved together and those trees are probably also being pollinated by those Reds eating first at one then the other.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
The American Red Squirrel, the fox squirrel and the eastern gray squirrel are three different species. The binomial names are...

American Red = Tamiasciurus hudsonicus

Fox = Sciurus niger

Gray = Sciurus carolinesis

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE