Greetings from Romania!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
Hello everyone!
I'm new member from Romania. I live near a mountain area so I've the possibility to go out quick often in nature.
I like bushcrafting and camping and I love to teach my son about survival. I like Jacklore Classic Knife, Malanika Puuko and Bark River Aurora.
I'm looking to learn about bushcrafting, about knives (steels) and share experience.
Regards!

Reactions: Erbswurst and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hello everyone!
I'm new member from Romania. I live near a mountain area so I've the possibility to go out quick often in nature.
I like bushcrafting and camping and I love to teach my son about survival. I like Jacklore Classic Knife, Malanika Puuko and Bark River Aurora.
I'm looking to learn about bushcrafting, about knives (steels) and share experience.
Regards!
Hi and welcome!

Your mountain ranges look amazing and I keep looking at maps and thinking "one day I'll go there". :)

Reactions: lika

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hello and welcome!

If you don't hunt, just for bushcraft or wood working, the steel quality is over rated in my opinion.

The most sold knives, classical Morakniv with wood handles, Opinel Carbone No8 and also Swiss Army knives have relatively simple steels.

In my experience the blade and handle design are much more important than the steel quality.

I think, there is somehow a misunderstanding about knives.

The knife and a metal mug or metal bottle are the most important survival items.
But the quality of them nearly doesn't matter.

Yes, I own a very good knife too, a Morakniv Garberg. But I wouldn't say that it cuts better than an Opinel No8 Carbone for a fraction of the price. It's just unbreakable in intended use and the Opinel isn't. That's all.

Any well sharpened outdoor knife from the flea market will do the job too, especially if it's an old one and no cheap Asian made stainless steel.

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
Hello and welcome!

If you don't hunt, just for bushcraft or wood working, the steel quality is over rated in my opinion.

The most sold knives, classical Morakniv with wood handles, Opinel Carbone No8 and also Swiss Army knives have relatively simple steels.

In my experience the blade and handle design are much more important than the steel quality.

I think, there is somehow a misunderstanding about knives.

The knife and a metal mug or metal bottle are the most important survival items.
But the quality of them nearly doesn't matter.

Yes, I own a very good knife too, a Morakniv Garberg. But I wouldn't say that it cuts better than an Opinel No8 Carbone for a fraction of the price. It's just unbreakable in intended use and the Opinel isn't. That's all.

Any well sharpened outdoor knife from the flea market will do the job too, especially if it's an old one and no cheap Asian made stainless steel.
You’re right! The handle is very important, the material, its comfortability and strength.
I like Mora Garberg, I don’t own any Mora, my core knife is a Terrava Jaakaripuukko 110 in 80CrV2 which is more than enough in what I do.
If we talk about passion, about beauty of knives, I can't deny that I don't want a Malanika Puukko, a Bark River Aurora or Gunny, a Jacklore Classic…
I think it matters a lot how deep you are in this thing and if you are willing to spend some money on knives that you will not use to their true potential.
PS: I forgot, I own an Roselli Grandfather knife (W75 steel) that I love! It’s my friend, my toy…

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's surely worth to look if there are Romanian knife makers that perhaps sell good stuff relatively cheap.

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
It's surely worth to look if there are Romanian knife makers that perhaps sell good stuff relatively cheap.
Yes, there are also Romanian makers, some of them really do good things. They still have to improve the design.
And the prices are lower than the knives I mentioned earlier.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It surely would be interesting if you tell us about them. Also links to homepages could be interesting, even if only written in Romanian, because pictures can see everybody, and bad in Latin have surely been a lot of us. But I can read Romanian for example and understand what's about in the text.
That's surely worth an own thread.

There is currently a lot of Romanian military surplus equipment on the market and it looks in the photos, as if it's offered for good prices.

Also this would be worth an own thread. If you know it you could tell us about it or/ and digg for some informations about it, old photos that show how it was used, videos and so on.
To be honest, it looks for me a bit as if it was developed before 1945 in Germany. So I don't expect so great surprises.
But anyway, it's interesting.

Last edited:

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
It surely would be interesting if you tell us about them. Also links to homepages could be interesting, even if only written in Romanian, because pictures can see everybody, and bad in Latin have surely been a lot of us. But I can read Romanian for example and understand what's about in the text.
That's surely worth an own thread.

There is currently a lot of Romanian military surplus equipment on the market and it looks in the photos, as if it's offered for good prices.

Also this would be worth an own thread. If you know it you could tell us about it or/ and digg for some informations about it, old photos that show how it was used, videos and so on.
To be honest, it looks for me a bit as if it was developed before 1945 in Germany. So I don't expect so great surprises.
But anyway, it's interesting.
Here is the link of Romanian military surplus equipment:

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I mean this area of equipment.

The stuff is cheap and similar but very old west European WW2 equipment became horribly expensive. I assume that people are interested in such old shool stuff and would like to get more information how it was used exactly in the Romanian army.

If you find the time you could open a thread about it and put in there authentic photos and videos of well informed people, if you find them.

Without knowing the language we have no chance to find such informations in the internet.

If one searches in English, one usually just can find some Americans who bought it, misunderstood all and everything and made a video about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE