Greenheat Gel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi New to this forum.

I'm going to Iceland in August on an expedition. We are taking Trangias and are hoping to use Greenheat Gel in them. Has anyone used the gel before? Do you think it is ok to transport the gel on a plane in our luggage?

Thanks

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi and welcome aboard :D

I think using a trangia is a good idea as there are no working parts to go wrong. One thing though. When you say you're thinking of using greenheat gel, you don't mean you're going to put it in the burner do you?? This bit....
trangiaburnerunit001.jpg

As you'll clog it up and make it unusable. If you are using another container to hold the greenheat it should work, but I think you'll find that the meths burner filled with meths will be more efficient.

Since 9/11 airlines don't tend to let you fly with fuel of any kind, so it will be worth researching what fuels are commonly available at your destination and picking a stove to suit

Hope this helps

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Beck,
I take it you mean the stuff thats make from sugar cane? It comes in a small tin which replaces the traditional Trangia meths burner and is called Greenheat. Its sold as 100% organic and is seen as a safer alternative to meths. It doesn't burn as hot as meths so boiling takes quite a bit longer. Each tin burns for about 105-120 mins, is less contrulable than the traditional meths burner, and you have to dispose of the tin at the end, which is a problem if you are somewhere remote since you will need to carry the empty tins out again with you. Each tin weighs about 200g so that will result in quite a heavy load for a longer trek.
On balance I would take meths on a longer trip and save the green gel for shorter trips nearer home. One big plus for the gel though. Since its made from sugar cane it gives off a tremendour rum punch smell as it burns! :D

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I'd take meths myself, greeheat gel is great in theory but in practice you will still be hungry and cold waiting for scoff and a brew when everyone else has finished cooknig theirs !

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Beck,

If you're looking for something really lightweight, try hexi tablets. Of course, you can't do much more than boil water or cook instant rice but for something fast and easy it'll work. Supplementing the tablets with dry twigs also seems to increase their output.

Of course, you can't COOK on hexi per say. I'm a devout Trangia man myself and I'll never again cook on petrol. I'd highly suggest a Trangia setup because they're just really really great stoves.

Adam

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
me too, it's rubbish!

more boy scout stuff than for proper camping!
Ahem!!! Boy scouts is America!!! Since 1967 in the UK we have had just "Scouts" as our thousands of Girls will testify!! :soapbox:

I got a pack of Gel with my crusader cup its OK for a quick hit of heat but its messy and expensive. I won't buy more when its gone and we certainly don't use it with the scouts. Thats what gas and multifuel convertors are for!

7 of my unit (including 3 Girls!!) went to Iceland in 2002 and had trouble getting meths as they don't call it that. They ended up with some industrial alcohol from a chemist which worked well enough but not as effective as meths.

We have since found out that if you contact Trangia before you go they will tell you what to ask for in most countries. (01475 746 000)

Jul 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies. We've bought a pack of two Greenheat Gel, which sits where the burner normally would. I did try boiling some water and it did seem to take ages. I had heard that you could buy some sort of meths at pharmacies and ?Petrol stations? I might take my gas adapter just incase I can buy resealable gas out there, but after searching the internet could locate anywhere in Iceland which might sell it.

Thanks

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
rapidboy said:
I havent tried one but might be worth looking into this
http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/trangia/multi-fuel.htm

I'm pretty sure that is just a Trangia marked Optimus Nova. IMO you would be far better getting a 'real' Nova and the Trangia adaptor kit, which would give you much more versatility, cos you can use the Nova on its own or with the Trangia.

The Nova / Trangia make a very powerful combo btw. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rapidboy said:
I havent tried one but might be worth looking into this
http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/trangia/multi-fuel.htm

One of my friends has one like that (or certainly VERY similar) and he swears by it, ok so he also swears at inanimate objects and anybody who looks at him funny, but it does seem to do the biz.

He has used it in several Nortern European trips and claims that he has used realy crap russian petrol, white spirit, and even polish vodka in it sucessfully.

He does however have one big gripe, not this specifically but this type of stove generally. If you are vehicle based then fuel is only ever a plastic pipe away, but if you are on foot they won't let you take it on board an aircraft and its a real sod to fill up at a petrol station.

Not only is the fule bottle too small to fill directly from a pump but most places wont dispense that small an amount without charging for a minimum of say 5 litres.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
mojofilter said:
I'm pretty sure that is just a Trangia marked Optimus Nova. IMO you would be far better getting a 'real' Nova and the Trangia adaptor kit, which would give you much more versatility, cos you can use the Nova on its own or with the Trangia.

The Nova / Trangia make a very powerful combo btw. :)

That sounds familar, did someone on BB have one ?
Was it Martyn ?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
maddave said:
Hi and welcome aboard :D

I think using a trangia is a good idea as there are no working parts to go wrong. One thing though. When you say you're thinking of using greenheat gel, you don't mean you're going to put it in the burner do you?? This bit....

They fit like this :)

6c_2.JPG

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
If you're tempted to use meths, just be warned that you can't buy it in Iceland. Let me qualify that; you couldn't buy it in 1987 when I was there. The reason is that Icelanders, at the time, couldn't get decent booze and used to drink meths, so they banned it!

Just to digress, their drying out clinic on the edge of Reykavik was one of the poshest buildings in Iceland. Not surprising since they used to have more alcoholics per head then any other country! Great place for it though; you need a stiff drink before indulging in some of their glacier sports.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE