Green Dots..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

John, it has been used quite effectively on other sites, but I daresay if it all goes a little pear shaped it will get removed, in due time it will either turn out to be a good thing or bad.

For the moment just go with the flow and see how it works out, you never know, you may even find it helpfull at a later date :wink:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I hope it work out as well. I wasn't having a dig at the powers that be.
But how does it work exactly?

If you disagree with a post do you have to state why you disagree?? Are those comments moderated? Sorry for the questions but Iv'e got these neat little scales of justice a cool green square and a warning triangle and no real Idea what they do or why they are there?

Cheers

John

leon-1

johnboy said:
I hope it work out as well. I wasn't having a dig at the powers that be.
But how does it work exactly?

If you disagree with a post do you have to state why you disagree?? Are those comments moderated? Sorry for the questions but Iv'e got these neat little scales of justice a cool green square and a warning triangle and no real Idea what they do or why they are there?

Cheers

John

I'm not in possession of all the facts myself, but the little green square is an indication really of how usefull your posts are (if people find what you post to be good they can give you points, if it is normal then probably no points will be forthcoming, but if it is misleading or blatant nonsense then you can vote to have points deducted).

As far as being able to read comments I don't know myself yet (Kath and Adi have probably sent something out that will clear this up and I have either overlooked it or missed it by accident).

You already know what you use the scales for.

The red triangle with the exclamaton mark is used for reporting bad posts and that is about all really :)

johnboy said:
I wasn't having a dig at the powers that be.

:rolmao: :rolmao: Believe it or not the powers that be are very sensible and would not take offense or believe that you were having a go, the way that it is typed does not come across like that.

I on the other hand can come across a little abrupt at times :wink:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Cheers Leon,

I pressed the red triangle on one of your posts and it threw up a box to fill in so I clicked back ( hope I haven't affected your reputation!!!?).

Here's a question possibly for someone else!? How come I don't see the reputation indicating green dot on everybody? For example Leon you are a moderator and a full member and have a green reputation dot, Ed who has posted a bit further up is a moderator a full member and has no green dot?

Anyway enough of this Dot talk The tides in I'm off for a Kayak.

cheers

John

leon-1

John, in the User CP if you enter edit options the second box down allows you to switch the reputation side of life on or off, effectivley if you wish it there it can be, the choice is totally yours. :eek:):

There were a couple of hickups earlier,but I believe that Adi has sorted them now :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
How are you meant to know what rating you have, i don't have any numbers like on BB :?:

The numbers on BB are a 3rd party hack Jake.

This is how it works (I think :) ). At first, all members get 10 reputation points and one green blob. Providing they have a certain post count, a member can add or deduct 1 reputation point. This is your "reputation altering power" or RAP for short. For every 500 posts you make on BcUK, your RAP incriments by one point. So somone with 2000 posts, has thier initial 1 point, plus 4 more points for thier post count. They can then add or deduct 5 reputation points to other members. You get additional RAP points, for having a high reputation. Over time, as your post count and reputation increase, so does your reputation altering power.

It takes a long time to acquire a high reputation, but the process speeds up as the forums mature. For every 100 reputation points, you get another green blob. If you have 1000 reputation points, you'll have 10 green blobs in a row. This can take a very long time (which is why I added the number hack on BB - so you can see reputation as a numerical value, not just a green blob).

When you add reputation to someone (by clicking on the scales icon) you are given an option to leave a message of explanation. This can be viewed in your user control panel. Though everyone can see your green blobs, only you get to see who gave or deducted reputation points and why.

The reputation system itself is useful, especially to newbies on the forum. If someone asks a question and they get a reply from a member with a high rep, the newbie can be pretty sure of being able to take the response "to the bank". Equally, if a member is for some reason being very annoying or acting in an antisocial way, members can express thier frustration by deducting rep points - though in practice this rarely happens. If you found this post informative and helpful, you may choose to give me a reputation point, or if you feel it is a useless and inaccurate post and a blatant pimp for reputation, you may decide to deduct a point - the choice is yours. :D :D

I believe the reputation system is set up as an "opt out" system, so if you dont want to participate, you can turn it off in your userCP. You will then no longer display the green blob and you wont be able to give or recieve reputation points. I would suggest sticking with it though. I've been using it on BB for about 18 months and have had no problems.

I think the system is pretty new here, so the admins may alter the way it works until they find a mode of operation that satisfies them, so it may change a bit in the short term. I'm sure you'll be updated as to how it will all work.

Have fun. ;) :D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
jakunen said:
Leon,
Had a look at my CP but can't find that check box, or see my rep:?:
Oh dear! It should appear in Edit Options under "Show My Reputation Level" (near the top). :?: It says:
"Your current reputation level is displayed to other users whenever you post a message. If you would like to hide your reputation, disable this option.

You currently have 10 reputation points.
Show My Reputation Level [tick box]"

Hope that helps you spot it, Martin. If it's not there, it must mean there's a gremlin in the works somewhere! :roll: Let me know ... and I'll see what I can do to get the little blighter out of there! :wink: :biggthump

jakunen

Native
Tant,

Cheers mate, I did get an update bit saying you'd just given me a point and I now have 11.

Kath,

No, in my Edit Option, I can't see that anywhere, thread view - yes, allow email notification - yes, etc. but show reputuation - no.
Must be a gremlin. I use WYSIWYG, does that make any difference?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I personally like it - it gives you a very basic idea about who is likely to give trustworthy info on the board - e.g someone who has been here for years, and posted hundreds of posts but not got many rep points might be a dubious source of information ;)

Ooh - my reputation has gone up by a point this morning - someone liked something I said! :eek:):

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
someone who has been here for years, and posted hundreds of posts but not got many rep points might be a dubious source of information
....or more likely more of a social chatter rather than an infomation guru ;-)

hootchie said:
I cant find mine either!!
Quite a few people can't see it and we are aware of the problem and are looking into it to get it fixed.

hootchie said:
Why does it not show the value next to the dot like BB??
Because the BB one has a 3rd party hack put in by martyn that does this.

Everyone please remember this only went up yesterday and it is still being tweeked and the bugs ironing out.

Before posting please read through this thread as many questions and comments have already been addressed..... we know there is a problem..... its getting sorted.

Thanks all :biggthump

Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Should all be working now ... let me know (by PM might be better) if it now doesn't.

Have fun!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
My opinion is that it's great to give eachother good and bad reputation points. BUT... :wink: Instead of giving a reputation point, isn't it better also to write why?? :roll: No matter if it's a good or bad point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE