Gransfors Carpenters axe

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I got this from British Red in a fit of enthusiasm for green woodworking. This has not come to be. Nor will it for the forseeable.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/dougster_01/knifeandleather/Carpentersaxehead.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/dougster_01/knifeandleather/Carpentersandsmallforest.jpg

It is an incredible axe, sharp enough to take the edge off paper held up and better than the small forest for carving. Red took off the varnish and oiled it, so it's more comfortable in the hand and made it SUPER sharp.

As you can see from the pics, it is very similar in size to the small forest (not for sale) and in my opinion up to much the same jobs.

Please excuse the table cloth, it's a toddler proof covering! :rolleyes:

A snip at £25 plus P&P of your choice.

Paypal preferred.

Thanks for looking

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Dougster said:
If I'd known they were this popular I'd have bumped the price.

Sorry Don, I though you were getting rid of stuff!

true, but a good axe is hard to find, and my present w/work axe is nothing special

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dougster,

You have to factor in the celebrity status of a "British Red" finished axe too :D

Adds about as much value as a pair of Orville's underpants I expect :)

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You don't happen to have a swedish broad axe knocking around do you?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not yet Mr Snufkin sadly (if you mean me rather than Dougster)

I do have one or two other axe projects in the pipeline at the moment but not a broad axe...

Cegga is working on a few of the "collaboration" hunters axes we fooled with and there is still a Nessmuk inspired double bit to be fooled with as time permits (although as far as I know version II is still at the "forged head" stage (looks sweet in the pictures though)

I have an idea for a new design too but thats still at the "sketch" stage

Hmm a broad axe would be fun though...right handed I take it...?

Red

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi British Red
I am looking forward to owning an axe which has been given the British Red treatment. Having read a lot of your posts I hope I can do it justice and keep it as sharp as it deserves. I have a nice piece of birch saved from the recent storms, which once I have split, I intend to try and make a seat, the new axe will greatly assist in this process
Chas :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chas,

I hope it serves you well mate. It's a lovely axe and a proper wood workers tool - that square bit and straight helve are perfect for a shaping role. I'd really love to ehar (and see) how you get on with it...if the seat works out, I'll pop you down a bottle of my spiced mead to drink whilst sitting in it one summers evening ;)

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
British Red said:
Not yet Mr Snufkin sadly (if you mean me rather than Dougster)

I do have one or two other axe projects in the pipeline at the moment but not a broad axe...

Cegga is working on a few of the "collaboration" hunters axes we fooled with and there is still a Nessmuk inspired double bit to be fooled with as time permits (although as far as I know version II is still at the "forged head" stage (looks sweet in the pictures though)

I have an idea for a new design too but thats still at the "sketch" stage

Hmm a broad axe would be fun though...right handed I take it...?

Red
I'm a southpaw myself but I would probably go for a centre line one.
I do have a new adze to play with though :) . Sadly not a Gransfors one :( .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes sense ....more flexible too

I'll send BB (my lass) round to blame you when she finds more sketches strewn around :D

What kind of adze - straight or curved?

Hankering after a large froe right now myself

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
British Red said:
Makes sense ....more flexible too

I'll send BB (my lass) round to blame you when she finds more sketches strewn around :D

What kind of adze - straight or curved?

Hankering after a large froe right now myself

Red
Straight, 4lb head with a 36" ash handle. Good grain on the handle, sanded off the finish and rubbed it down with linseed oil/turps mix and worked on the awful edge it came with. It's now convexed. I'll probably adjust the edge some more but as this is my first adze I don't really know what'll work best.
I too fancy a froe.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is there a club...kind of like dyslexic golfers we could haul them out, swing them and shout "froe!" :D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:(

I have traded all my surplus (bar the one I've promised as the competition prize and the one I've given Bent-Stock as a thank you for that lovely bracer :))

And no-ones having the Lee Reeves thats winging its way to me right now :D

Hmmm

How bigs the froe Eric (blade length)?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE