Got the Rail Anvil finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
2011-01-02%2010.53.49.jpg

Getting ready for some metal bashing
2011-01-02%2010.54.25.jpg

The end result
2011-01-02%2013.17.59.jpg

Last edited:

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
The anvil looks great but where did you pick it up from as I can seem to find one.

Craig.

Mmmm kinda of "found it" but it took loads of disks and burnt about three pairs of denims cutting and grinding it!!
I'm always on the look out so iill keep me eyes open!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Mmmm kinda of "found it" but it took loads of disks and burnt about three pairs of denims cutting and grinding it!!
I'm always on the look out so iill keep me eyes open!

im the same been looking for anything to make a half decent anvil, a real one just costs tooooooo much.....

chris....

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
im the same been looking for anything to make a half decent anvil, a real one just costs tooooooo much.....

chris....

Chris,..

i found myself working in the rail industry a few years ago and kept in touch with the guys,...

i used a few favours up on sleepers for the garden,...but i bet i could swing a couple of lenghts of rail too,....

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Chris,..

i found myself working in the rail industry a few years ago and kept in touch with the guys,...

i used a few favours up on sleepers for the garden,...but i bet i could swing a couple of lenghts of rail too,....

i like you more and more each time we speek Stu....lol.....

that would be great if at all possible......im bringing that skinner blade for you on the weekend mate.......see what you think, if you like it, its your mate......

chris................

ps sorry for the postnap.......

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Looks great Ally - I like it.

I did the same thing. - you heat treated it?

Only thing is that I did a lot of it using a hack saw! :O - swearing was obligatory. lol.

All the best

Andy

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I know a lad working in restoration of trains, and to do this they buy in sections of track....they kept the 'small length' I asked for....which turned out to be 8'....so i left 4' as it would not fit in the car ;)

trying to swing a gas axe (i'm maintainance fitter in a past life) from a lad i know....so hope to forgo the swearing and burnt jeans ;)

I would swap some on but the postage would be a killer ;)

Mojo

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
Looks great Ally - I like it.

I did the same thing. - you heat treated it?

Only thing is that I did a lot of it using a hack saw! :O - swearing was obligatory. lol.

All the best

Andy

Not too sure how well the heat treatment worked, used the gas torch first then put it upside down in the forge then quenched it in old oil..? have i nackerd it?
But it took a good bashing today and no signs of wear. I'll let you know how it fares over the next few weeks

ATB

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
That's a nice anvil !
Selfmade stuff gives you lots of pleasure:

To make and develop the object.
When you've finished it,you can use it.
Most of the time it's cheaper.

Theo

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Na you won't have nackered it mate. - I put mine into a fire then plunged it into a wheel barrow full of water.

The steel is pretty good so it will be a very good tool.

All the best

Andy

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
How did you cut the ends off to form the point? A buddy of mine well an online buddy made an anvil like that to. Usually swearing when doing something like that means it's going well doesn't it? LMAO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE