Gorse / Dandelion Wine ( Semi drinkable libations. )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Inventory:-

I have time - Recently been made redundant.
I have Demijohns. - Many.
I have Airlocks - Bubbly.
I have Gorse Bushes in the area - Extra Prickly , Extra Yellowy variety
I have ZERO homebrewing experience.

So I WAS thinking of making something alcoholic. Or at least trying too...

So is wine the best thing to make with Gorse? I've read some past reviews and it seemed to get good feedback - but what else do I need to add and purchase to make this happen and how do I do it???

Also Dandelions I hear can also make something semi drinkable. - Again -worth the effort??

As mentioned I have Demijohns and airlocks but nothing else to make homebrew - what else do I NEED and what don't I need to bother with?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
what else do I NEED and what don't I need to bother with?

My recommendation is to get hold of a copy of this book (widely available second hand); Years ago I had great success following the processes in there and it's winemaking made simple.

However, here's the Gorse Flower recipe; Dandelion is the same but with 2 pints of flowers. You can get all the 'chemical' ingredients from Brew UK. I know there are simpler recipes out there but these really work :)

2020-03-22 14.08.32.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeasts ferment the sugars in the fruit, that's the concept = 2 bubbles of carbon dioxide yeast farts and 2 molecules of alcohol.
Best judge of that is with a hydometer, you're looking for a specific gravith of 1.095.
But the yeastie-beasties will die in their own waste, they can't live in much more than 14% alcohol.
For taste, often with flavorings, go for an alcohol level @ S.G. = 0.995 of about 12% ethanol.

Fine chopped apples, chopped rhubarb (frozen or fresh), most all fruit wines will need added sugar.
Gorse flowers, dandelions, elderberry flowers, those things will add a flavor.

I mostly started with grapes in 100 gallon/450 liter batches. That's about 30 x 36lb cases of grapes.
I always sulfited the must and used a specific wine yeast of my choice, not the random wild yeasts on the grapes.
BUT, there might be some really good yeasts for breads on grapes. That's my next experiment this autumn = YEAST!

Nomad666

Nov 6, 2015
BC Canada
Rhubarb wine is on my list of things to try this coming year.
Making wine is a fun project I make small batches from 2 Liters to 2 Gal for test runs once I find something that works/tastes good then its 5 gal batches my apple wine is awesome but the best ever was blackberry wine all out now but will be on a quest for berries this year.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My dad made a wide variety of fruit wines as he couldn't get grapes.
The two very best, I can still remember them, were:
#1 ice cold rhubarb wine on a hot day. Very subtle blush of pink, the rhubarb taste was all there, crisp & tart.
#2 raspberry wine. Transparent red with high- lights of gold. Beautiful stuff with a big raspberry nose..

The best fruit wine that I ever made was over the winter of 84/85 from the '84 cherry crop.
Big robust red that finished so well and so fast, it was hard to tell what the fruit source had been.
Tannin, yeast nutrient, acid blends, Camden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) all help to craft a respectable result.

I would do rhubarb again in a minute. 50-75 lbs and ler 'er rip. It's worth the chop.

The worst fruit wine I have ever had? I can brag because I bought a bottle, chilled it and wished for whiskey.
Pumpkin wine. The fruits that Hallowe'en pumpkin carvings are done in. Don't. Just don't. Even if the sugar is free.

Reactions: Nomad666

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As I've said, I grow grapes. Easily enough to use some for a batch of wine.
Other people are growing clones of my vines, I hear the wine is respectable.
I got geared up just a few years back to start wine making again.
My heart just wasn't in it. Disappointing. The previous winemaking had ended on a sour domestic note,
maybe that's still baggage that I'm carrying.

Home brewing is fun to do, not a lot of work and cracking a jug is like opening a gift.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE