Goretex Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'm about to purchase some goretex trousers from ebay.
I just wanted your opinion on whether the Army or the Royal Mail ones are better?
Thanking you.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Goretex does not work as claimed. Even after evolving into the latest 3rd generation the finished product requires special restorative cleaners with more venting zippers than Michael Jacksn's wardrobe. There are several websites debunking the product. I bought a first generation parka shell myself, so I speak from sad experience.

leon-1

Raz, the British army ones are pretty good when they are brand new, but if you get a used set you don't know how they have been cared for.

Most soldiers do not use the correct cleaning fluids (they have never heard of the likes of pure soap) for gore-tex and as a result after a while of being washed in normal washing powders the pores get clogged.

They may as well be the PVC ones after this has happened.

If you can get hold of them I believe the dutch army do some in an olive/Khaki colour that are supposed to be pretty good and cheap.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
MartiniDave said:
Has anyone tried treating ordinary brit army light weights with nik wax?

Dave

Yeah, I do that all the time. It really helps them a LOT. Water beads on them as opposed to impregnating the fabric which keeps them dryer for longer. Also, if they do get a soaking they dry off a lot quicker than unproofed ones.

Don't expect miracles - but it does help.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
MartiniDave said:
Cheers Adi, I'm off to comandeer the washing machine!

Dave
Make sure that the washing machine is clean of detergent otherwise that will strip it off the clothes before it attaches. I have a regime that works for me:

1 - Clean out power drawer on machine.
2 - Put the clothes throught he washing machine with no soap at all ... just a short wet wash
3 - Short wash with "tech wash" or something similar.
4 - Finally, proofing stage.

Works for me!

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Raz said:
I'm about to purchase some goretex trousers from ebay.
I just wanted your opinion on whether the Army or the Royal Mail ones are better?
Thanking you.

Royal Mail - is this a new line I haven't heard about?

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Goretex does not work as claimed. Even after evolving into the latest 3rd generation the finished product requires special restorative cleaners with more venting zippers than Michael Jacksn's wardrobe. There are several websites debunking the product. I bought a first generation parka shell myself, so I speak from sad experience.

I think it depends on how 'hot' you operate. I kick up quite a sweat when out on the hill so goretex isn't that great for me - condensation build up is bad! You can never get a garment to be both fully waterproof and fully breathable. Some of my mates operate less hot and goretex works well for them.

As for goretex rousers, I would never pay very much for a pair of as they inevitably get wrecked!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
MartiniDave said:
Cheers Adi, I'm off to comandeer the washing machine!

Dave

It may be too late for this but my advice would be that if you’re just treating one pair of trousers then do it by hand, it's easy enough. For more than one item of clothing I use the machine.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Personally I don't get on with waterproof overtrousers at all - find them hellishly hot and uncomfortable. My vote is always for windproof polycotton. if I knew I was going to be in a downpour, I stick something like ron hill track pants underneath just to reduce the chill without interfering with breathability. They're knitted nylon so they insulate, don't hold water and don't go baggy. Work for shooting too.

In winter on the mountain bike for instance I regularly go out in foul weather and get soaked to the skin - I wear two pairs of tracksters for this.

Also worth remembering that goretex doesn't wick, it needs a temperature difference across the shell to force the water vapour out. I figure if you wear loads of insulation under it, the temperature just gets dropped across the thickness of the insulation, the inside skin of the jacket is nearly as cold as the outside and it'll condense. If you use it like a windshirt with little insulation underneath and work up a good heat through exercise, that's when it will breath the best.

Cheers.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Personally I go with Alick on this - I have never bothered with waterproof over trousers except to wear instead of my normal trousers when playing in water.

Generally a good 65/35 poly/cotton pair of trousers (craghoppers kiwi - the green british army lightweights) will dry very quickly if wet just from the heat generated by the muscles when working.

Plus I use a US army poncho as my waterproof top most of the time (except on mountains or extreme weather) and this tends to cover most of the trousers too. In damp areas a pair of Gaiters help keep cuffs dry.

Off subject slightly - How you doing Raz? - long time no speak since I left Aol.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Then again, you could wear a kilt and run around like Mel Gibson saving Scotland from Patrick McGoohan while getting stuck on all those thistles. Legwear is often the most neglected piece of outdoor clothing. I never tire of people in a wool shirt, heavy sweater and shell with a pair of denim cotton bluejeans on :wink: .

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'm not planning to be active in the trousers!
I just need them for work, coppicing and shooting in the rain. I don't fancy wearing normal trousers, and catching a cold!

Gary!
I'm doing well, I wondered where you'd been.
You never told me you were leaving AOL, I thought you'd packed it all in, and set up home in some twigs :-D

As for me; I'm off with Rhoda this weekend to pick her brains, and learn some skills. I'm very excited!
I must say thank you to Rhoda, you are extremely generous for offering your time, I can't wait to get started! :super:

I've Packed in the building trade, and am now working full time as a wildlife park warden. Twice as many hours, for half the money... But, as I'm working so much, I don't have anything to spend it on anyway. :wink:

Now, more importantly,
How the devil are you! How's Bearclaw going?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cool I'm pleased for you mate, and a little envious too.

Rhoda is a fantastic tracker you'll learn alot from her so pay heed young man!!

In fact, I am so impressed with her and Max that they will be running tracking courses for Bearclaw next year on our Merthyr Mawr estate. Last time she was down there see was even tracking the Otter underwater! (well nearly)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'll be taking notes the whole time, and have read Tom Browns field guide in preparation :)

I hear Max is in massive demand, I've yet to have the pleasure of meeting him, but I hope to soon. It's great you've got them to teach, by the sound of your site, it'll be ideal with the varied terrain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE