Good news for Scottish Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hi

I was talking with a friend from the Forestry Commision and the subject of the Right to Roam Laws came up. As far as I know these only cover Scotland. The bit that interested me was that it is now legal to camp anywhere in Scotland subject to some small details. You have to be out of sight of a house, it must not be the catchment for drinking water and if it is an existing camp site you still have to pay. There are still restrictions on lighting fires.

So as far as I can tell wild camping in Scotland is now perfectly legal. This is great news for me as I love the Loch Lomond area and wild camping has always been discouraged.

Does anyone know if what I have been told is true and are there any other details we should know about.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm not certain, but don't think access rights apply until the Scottish Parliament approve the draft Access Code. The draft code does make it clear that wild camping is generally legal (at present it is technically illegal under Victorian legislation, but no-one has been prosecuted and I am in no doubt the procurator fiscal would regard prosecution as not being in the public interest)

See http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/access/access1.pdf

http://www.snh.org.uk/soac/

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Thanks Doc. Below are two of the relevant sections. Looks like good news for Bushcrafters.

Lighting fires

Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

54 Wild Camping

Responsible behaviour by the public Responsible behaviour by land managers Wild camping Access rights extend to wild camping (this type of camping is lightweight and transitory). You can avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by camping on unenclosed land, in small numbers, well away from any building, road or historic structure, and for one or two nights in any one place. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. Leave no trace by:
" taking away all your litter;
" removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire; and
" not causing any pollution.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Yep. The other nice thing about Scotland is the public right to recreation on Crown foreshore - which is most of the foreshore except nature reserves, military ranges etc. Recreation includes lighting fires and shooting wildfowl in season.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
MagiKelly said:
Thanks Doc. Below are two of the relevant sections. Looks like good news for Bushcrafters.

Lighting fires

Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

54 Wild Camping

Responsible behaviour by the public Responsible behaviour by land managers Wild camping Access rights extend to wild camping (this type of camping is lightweight and transitory). You can avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by camping on unenclosed land, in small numbers, well away from any building, road or historic structure, and for one or two nights in any one place. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. Leave no trace by:
" taking away all your litter;
" removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire; and
" not causing any pollution.

This is about he same as here in sweden common sense as they say :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE