Goldwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The missus, not being satisfied with the range of thread and needlework skills she has (Lace, Embroidery, Cross stitch, Crochet, Knitting, Sewing … the list goes on), decided to learn Goldwork - the kind of stuff that gets stitched on to ceremonial uniforms and the like.

This is her first piece that she finished this morning. I know it's not bushcraft but I was so in awe with it that I thought I'd share :) - the flower is about 85mm across.

2020-04-06 11.47.56 - 2056 - 25.jpg

2020-04-06 11.48.40 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh it's beautiful :)
I do sew, I do embroider and your Lady's work is lovely; the couching is so neat, and it flows into the shapes so very well too. The raised elements really add to the whole composition. It's a beautifully balanced piece. Is the design her own ?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thanks guys; I can't pass your encouragement on as she'll be cross I posted it :)

Oh it's beautiful :)
I do sew, I do embroider and your Lady's work is lovely; the couching is so neat, and it flows into the shapes so very well too. The raised elements really add to the whole composition. It's a beautifully balanced piece. Is the design her own ?

No Mary, it's not her own, it's a training sample piece so uses lots of different types of thread, materials and stitches. However, she's now chomping at the bit to do more and, she says, mix goldwork in with her other crafts.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like goldwork elements in pieces too :) It's often just that 'spark' or choice little bit that adds much more than it's size would seem to indicate. It's a contrast, a substance to a piece.
Sorry, not describing this very well, but it's a lovely addition to the skillset and the craft works :)

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like goldwork elements in pieces too :) It's often just that 'spark' or choice little bit that adds much more than it's size would seem to indicate. It's a contrast, a substance to a piece.
Sorry, not describing this very well, but it's a lovely addition to the skillset and the craft works :)

M

Yes, I think that's how she sees it - kind of a jewel in a design - imagine a goldwork bee on a fabric floral quilt or something :)

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its beautiful.

I have got a book on Goldwork and have been amassing various metallics to try when I feel brave enough.

Ill have to have a go.

And get a photohosting account....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Broch
I don't know if your Missus knows of Agnes Herczeg's work, but if she likes fine needlework she might enjoy her site :)

Agnes works needlelace in silk on fine wired outlines. It's beautiful and really inspirational

for instance

Her videos explain her working methods.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Broch
I don't know if your Missus knows of Agnes Herczeg's work, but if she likes fine needlework she might enjoy her site :)

Agnes works needlelace in silk on fine wired outlines. It's beautiful and really inspirational

for instance

Her videos explain her working methods.

Wow, there's some interesting work there! I'll pass the links on, thanks.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
The missus, not being satisfied with the range of thread and needlework skills she has (Lace, Embroidery, Cross stitch, Crochet, Knitting, Sewing … the list goes on), decided to learn Goldwork - the kind of stuff that gets stitched on to ceremonial uniforms and the like.

This is her first piece that she finished this morning. I know it's not bushcraft but I was so in awe with it that I thought I'd share :) - the flower is about 85mm across.

View attachment 58075

View attachment 58076
That's fantastic! Really impressive stuff, certainly beautiful and very skilled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE