Gluing bone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
Hi,

I have been lurking for some time and have been collecting materials after being inspired by the creations on here!

I have a couple of projects in mind for some deer bone that I have lying around. As a first project I was thinking of making a string keeper for my longbow. I had thought of shaping two pieces and gluing them together as I would if it were wood. What glue would be best for doing this? I have some araldite that I was going to use but thought it might be worth asking first.

Many Thanks!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Arayldyt will be fine dude, But just be sure to wear a face mask when sand/sawing it it is a biological material and can do nasty things when it settle on you lungs.

And hello and welcome to the forum.:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just glued up some antler overlays with araldite rapid, left for 24 hours still but its stuck fast, no bother.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Arayldyt will be fine dude, But just be sure to wear a face mask when sand/sawing it it is a biological material and can do nasty things when it settle on you lungs.

And hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Hmmmm interesting. Would that include deer antler too? I find wearing a dust mask with my glasses make the glasses steam up, most annoying, so I tend to skip using the dust mask, stupid I realise. I have tried the faqiry liquid on the lenses trick but it doesn't always work.

2nd, or perhaps 3rd on the Araldite suggestion mvnci, and welcome! Be sure to show your work.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yup - bone and antler are nasty to work with. A dust mask is a good idea.

As has been said - Araldite is your best best. Very good glue.

Welcome to the forum!

All the best
Andy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hmmmm interesting. Would that include deer antler too? I find wearing a dust mask with my glasses make the glasses steam up, most annoying, so I tend to skip using the dust mask, stupid I realise. I have tried the faqiry liquid on the lenses trick but it doesn't always work.

2nd, or perhaps 3rd on the Araldite suggestion mvnci, and welcome! Be sure to show your work.

Have you tried the ones with a bendy bit of metal across the bridge of the nose? I used to put a little strip magnesium tape to seal the top when wearing safety glasses as had the same problem of fogging, or you could make a tiny set of pinloc's for your glases?:p

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
Thanks for the welcome!

Araldite it is then :)
Good call on the masks, I seem to have had a chest infection for months, so definitely don't want to catch anything from the bone!

I am planning on soaking the bone for a while before hand to keep the dust down. Is an hour or so before hand ok or overnight?

The garage is in a mess after the roof being replaced, so will be using hand tools, that should help keep the dust down too.

I haven't done anything like this before so, might leave the photos to the inevitable second attempt :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE