Global warming: when????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Here at 43° north latitude, it's raining hard at the moment. Temps are predicted to go to -17°C tomorrow, though.

According to NASA,
November 2013 was the globe's warmest November since records began in 1880, and the 345th consecutive month with global temperatures warmer than the 20th century average.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The reason scientists are starting to prefer the term "Climate Change" is that "Warming" is not typical of peoples experience.

It would appear that the global temperature is indeed rising and people still debate the reasons for this change according to their political or economic outlook. That does not mean we will necessarily experience warmer temperatures in whatever climate region we are living in.

What it does mean is that there is more energy distributed throughout the oceans and global weather system which may result in more extreme weather events. Or it may not.. The truth is we just don't really know and I for one find that slightly worrying...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It's the one UK weather that I can't find a satisfactory way of dealing with; Whatever I wear will be defeated by one or other of the "three w's".................and if I'm windproof and dry, I'm boil-in-the-bag, and that is my all time worst nightmare!

No question, it's the hardest weather to deal with...

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'm sitting here, in Scotland, 1 am in the morning, at the end of December, just past the shortest day, and I'm wearing a short sleeved blouse and we have no heating on in the house just now, and I am comfortable :)

In previous years I have gone to bed at this time wearing flannel pyjamas,................

ooh Mary !

Any hoo only the last 5 winters from 2008 (maybe not 2011, actually not 2011) where bad, last ones before that where 1990. 2007 was mild also.

As for global warming, it IS going on, ever since the last ice age (10,000 bc). There is an ice age cycle lasting 100,000 years, it has something to do with the tilt of the earth, the orbit of the earth which varies, alligning with the winter in the northern hemisphere. It has been going on for millions of years. The sea levels rose until 5000bc (ie noah)There was a mini ice age also 1000 years ago until 1700 . Anything man seems to do seems to be dwarfed by nature. One very major inpact of mans actions is rising acidity, acid rain oceans becoming inhospitable.

Funnily enough the cooler summers and mild winters are what lead to an ice age. heimdaller !

Wayland

Hárbarðr
snip> people still debate the reasons for this change according to their political or economic outlook. <snip

snip> as for global warming, it is going on, ever since the last ice age (10,000 bc). There is an ice age cycle lasting 100,000 years, it has something to do with the tilt of the earth, the orbit of the earth which varies, alligning with the winter in the northern hemisphere. It has been going on for millions of years. The sea levels rose until 5000bc (ie noah)there was a mini ice age also 1000 years ago until 1700 . Anything man seems to do seems to be dwarfed by nature. One very major inpact of mans actions is rising acidity, acid rain oceans becoming inhospitable.<snip

As I said...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ooh Mary !

Any hoo only the last 5 winters from 2008 (maybe not 2011, actually not 2011) where bad, last ones before that where 1990. 2007 was mild also.

As for global warming, it IS going on, ever since the last ice age (10,000 bc). There is an ice age cycle lasting 100,000 years.....

Again, the last time Iread, the next ice age is supposed to be in about 25,000 years from now. Add the 10,000 since the last one, and that makes the cycle about 25,000 years (plus ever how long said ice age lasts)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The reason scientists are starting to prefer the term "Climate Change" is that "Warming" is not typical of peoples experience.

It would appear that the global temperature is indeed rising and people still debate the reasons for this change according to their political or economic outlook. That does not mean we will necessarily experience warmer temperatures in whatever climate region we are living in.

What it does mean is that there is more energy distributed throughout the oceans and global weather system which may result in more extreme weather events. Or it may not.. The truth is we just don't really know and I for one find that slightly worrying...

This is the best explanation I've heard. And certainly what I fear too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The reason scientists are starting to prefer the term "Climate Change" is that "Warming" is not typical of people's experience.

This is the best explanation I've heard. And certainly what I fear too.

Just the exercise of simple logic really.

I don't understand why people don't get it?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If it snows tonight we will have had the four seasons down here with all the rain/sunny periods/cold/high winds we've had the last 24 hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE