Glasses recommendations please :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Ray-Ban, lenses are impact resistant, will last a lifetime.

Most Ray-Ban lenses are plastic, which will be scratched if a tiny bit of sand finds its way into the box, I discovered in Congo...
My next pair will be much cheaper, as they are just as UV resistant as the 10x more expensive ones...

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
have tried other brands and I get a git of a headache, but for some reason with my Oaks I feel fine

That's because Oakleys have optically perfect lenses which mean the light doesn't refract at all as it passes through the lense like it does on every other pair. Generally this refraction is minor and not noticeable but can cause people to get headaches.

I have also seen Oakley lenses take a javelin dropped on it from 3m and a 12 bore shotgun blast from 10 feet without breaking, these were promo vids though from when I was responsible for ordering and selling Oakley Sunglasses for a shop about 10 years ago.

I would also point out all my info is from 10 years ago but I love Oakley sunglasses and would strongly recommend them. They are expensive though but as with most things you get what you paid for, my vision is important to me so I want the best, saying that though cheaper sunglasses are and can be good and good enough for most situations.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have also seen Oakley lenses take a javelin dropped on it from 3m and a 12 bore shotgun blast from 10 feet without breaking, these were promo vids though from when I was responsible for ordering and selling Oakley Sunglasses for a shop about 10 years ago.

I've broken about 4 pairs of Oakley Eye Jackets. I didnt find them to be particularly well made at all.
A couple from falling over on a snowboard, and crushing them in my pack. They broke in half at the bridge.
And a couple of pairs had plastic pegs on the frames which broke after a while as well.
Mind you, also broke my Serengetis, as the small screw just fell out on its own accord and the lens fell out.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Sorry, should have been clearer, that was the lens taking the brunt without smashing, splintering of breaking. The frames and lenses were stuffed afterwards but they hadn't shattered or splinterred. I think the point was to demonstrate if you get hit in the face by something hard or sharp then these glasses aren't going to make it worse by showering your eyes with shards of glass or plastic.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
If you're looking for bush glasses, then IMO you can't go past Wiley-X for the price and utility. Their "SG1" model was US military issue and can be found dirt cheap. Comes with sunglass and clear lenses as well as elastic strap headband or normal arms, all in a softcase. Basically they're convertible dust goggles/sunglasses.
Wiley_X_SG-1_size_10.jpg

I personally wear Oakley Inmates for urban use because chicks dig them, but out bush I use a pair of Wiley X XL-1 Advanced since they are cheap, rugged and bulletproof.
xl1_advanced.jpg

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Just like to say thankyou to everyone for their recommendations! I ended up getting a set of these by ESS- i reckon if they're tough enough for the forces hopefully i won't break them too quickly!! :

http://www.heinnie.com/Eyewear/ESS-Eyewear/ESS-Ice-3-Naro/p-427-479-3372/

I have only used them twice (due to the rubbish weather which is typical!!) but they seem perfect-very tough, good optics and seem built to last. Only criticism i have up to now is changing the lenses is quite hard (as the plastics new) and they only come with a soft case so not sure how much protection that'll offer??

Going to have a look around for a hard case and apparently ESS have just released new "copper" lenses which are supposed to be excellant in low light :)

Thanks again!!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
a_HerculesSM_HR_web.jpg

If anyone is looking for a cheap pair of virtually indestructible sunglasses just to use when out and about, check these out.

http://www.globaleyewearstore.co.uk/html/hurcules.html

I got a pair and although they are not the most stylish or mega UV resistant or whatever, they really are very tough, which suits me as I don't want to be worrying about busting expensive specs.

see here: "good as new!!" lol

[video=youtube;3sObfNKDyVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sObfNKDyVM[/video]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Vision-Unbreakable-Motorcycle-Sunglasses/dp/B000NL5S76

HTH

Last edited:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I wear sunglasses a lot. This may sound a bit strange, but I really want to be able to see well when I'm hanging out in beautiful places. Half the reason I'm there is to be able to look at things. Doing what I do it's unlikely I'll get hit in the face by a stone... Here's what I factor in:

(1) Optical quality. Here you do get what you pay for, even if you're also paying for fashion. I've had a pair of Ray-Bans just once: awesome to look through! I'd have another pair instantly, if I could afford them. Many have mentioned Oakleys, also nice.

(2) Tint. For me, it has to be neutral density (grey); this doesn't change the colour of what you're looking at, just makes it darker. In the winter, a gentle amber tint (the old 'smoked' lenses) can warm things up a bit, but I have no idea how people can go around looking through yellow and pink and blue. It makes me feel disconnected from what I'm looking at, like it's on a screen.

(3) Polarisation. The world just looks SO much better through polarising lenses. The sky, water, foliage, everything. Quality polarisers make things fizz.

Currently I have a pair of 'Dirty Dawg' polarisers. Picked them up going through Newquay on the Coast Path last summer, after losing my previous pair. Plenty of sunglasses to choose from in Newquay! And all terribly trendy of course. I spent as much as I had. At £60 they were cheaper than the Oakleys but still seemed as nice to look through. Still very happy with them, and they're holding up fine, although some of the 'paint' has peeled on the arms where DEET's got on them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Most Ray-Ban lenses are plastic, which will be scratched if a tiny bit of sand finds its way into the box, I discovered in Congo...
My next pair will be much cheaper, as they are just as UV resistant as the 10x more expensive ones...

I didn't know they were now plastic, the Wayfarer and Aviator I have are glass I'm sure, but are perhaps fifty years old. When did they switch to plastic?

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I didn't know they were now plastic, the Wayfarer and Aviator I have are glass I'm sure, but are perhaps fifty years old. When did they switch to plastic?

They haven't, there are multiple lens options now. Mine were crystal, but there are plastic options too. Optical plastics have improved significantly in recent years, and so presumably Ray-Ban want to offer their advantages - weight for one.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
ESP make some nice ones used for angling and dont cost the earth. Well made and also safe as a lure flying at you could cause some damage.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Over here it was decades ago. Many modern plastics are every bit as hard as glass; hence approved industrial safety glasses are all plastic. That said, not all glasses are made of the better plastics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE