Glass glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, anyhow, yours truly, who cannot resist such a container even if she is not putting anything in it, spied one of those nice woven bags in the bin.

(now you know why I keep a walking stick, -that and hard to reach fruit)

I dragged it out, clinking and clattering.

Inside, another carrier! What a find!

And a Jack Morgans rum bottle. I have no use for this but my friend who likes old bottles will be pleased...

(no rum, sadly)

and some half and full pint glasses...the broken ones went in the glass recycling, -not found a use for the whole yet

(it will come)

And this ugly glass ornament, -this is useless, a jam jar on a glass stand.

I tried to separate the two parts but the glue is solid. I got the feeling the glass would break first.

And its not glued right! its lopsided. More recycling, methinks. (A whole load of things not going in landfill...hey)

But...What glue did they use? I could have some great fun with glue that can stick glass like that.

I have cullet, and sea glass, and nuggets...if I could stick them on other things....

What do you think?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The jam jar on a glass base is a novelty drinking vessel.
Lots of them here when you know where to look.
Commonly, the jar and base are fused together with heat then annealed.
Probably softened too much and became lopsided.

There is a glass cement that automotive makers use to stick the rearview mirrors to the windshield (aka windscreen).
I'm guessing that it's some sort of CyanoAcrylate glue. Had to buy a wee tube of it to put the mirror back in a car I had.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can buy superglue that's meant for glass, and will dry clear enough that you can repair crystal. Not cheap for a tiny wee tube though.
That said, the glue I'm using to stick together my 00 gauge models just now also says it'll work on glass. It cost £3 for a 115ml/ 4oz bottle in Hobbycraft. It's called Impex Original Hi-Tack all purpose very sticky Glue. Dries clear and flexible.
So far I can atest that it works on fabric, wood, plastic, cardboard, thin perspex and shiny printed card too.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Sigh> I suspect its that, Broch.

Its an ugly, malformed thing. as an ornament, its a failure. Even if the base was glued on centrally.

I too have glued on rear view mirrors. This one had lots of glue from previous attempts.

I cleaned it off completley with solvent then used a pad from the car shop.

It had to be warmed glass, so I used a hot water bottle. No more problems.

You can glue most things if you take care to do it correctly.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It could be a UV cured resin - the new way to instantly glue many objects :)

its not that new....over 20 years ago I worked for a glass company that used clear UV curing resin to bond glass to glass Its similar to what my dentist used for some fillings a while back. It was a sod to use, very hard to avoid air bubbles and glass has to be thoroughly degreased or it peels very expensive too as I recall

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
its not that new....over 20 years ago I worked for a glass company that used clear UV curing resin to bond glass to glass Its similar to what my dentist used for some fillings a while back. It was a sod to use, very hard to avoid air bubbles and glass has to be thoroughly degreased or it peels very expensive too as I recall

Ah, just new to me then :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE