Ginger wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Go gentle with it - its buring hot at that strength - lovely in sparkling mineral water though.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How did I miss this Hugh!?

I bet Libby will complain when she see's the additions to the shopping list next week though;)

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Go gentle with it - its buring hot at that strength - lovely in sparkling mineral water though.

Hi Red, I love ginger myself, as do my kids, and I have no doubt that said cordial would be a great evening warmer...however...ok ok, get the laughs out of the way all of you (but I am being serious) ...are there any adverse effects later on...in the trousers down dept? The last thing I need in the middle of the night is a continual mad scramble for what we affectionately call 'The Bucket of Weezdom' (I tend to go easy on the chillies too when out in the wilds)

That said, it sounds fantastic. We'll give it a try anyway and let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Sack

Hi Everybody
I have just discovered Bushcraft whilst searching websites for recipes for ginger wine.
I would suggest that my wife and I are the grandad and/or grandma that bushcraft members refer to as the long ago makers of ginger wine they had at Christmas, but alas now forgotten.
Your prayers are now answered. My mother made ginger wine 70 years ago and we are still making it but not just for Christmas but all through the year. Our grand kids are not too keen about it but we think it's great.
It entails buying the ginger essence from a chemist in the Yorkshire dales for about £1.70 but after adding sugar etc this makes 4 pints, so it's not expensive.
If you are interested just reply and I will let you have further info.
(We go the the Dales regularly so normally pick the essence up but it can be bought by mail order)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Red, I love ginger myself, as do my kids, and I have no doubt that said cordial would be a great evening warmer...however...ok ok, get the laughs out of the way all of you (but I am being serious) ...are there any adverse effects later on...in the trousers down dept? The last thing I need in the middle of the night is a continual mad scramble for what we affectionately call 'The Bucket of Weezdom' (I tend to go easy on the chillies too when out in the wilds)

That said, it sounds fantastic. We'll give it a try anyway and let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Sack

No problems at this end fellah - far less so than a few pints of Badgers poachers choice anyway!!

Jul 3, 2010
scotland
Hello Dolphin,
could you please send me your ginger recipe so I could try it? I sent you an e mail but you probably did not see it.

Regards skcollobcat10

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Cleaning out my mums cup cupboard three old looking coop bottles.. Should i give into temptation, i remember it being very gingery in taste.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Cleaning out my mums cup cupboard three old looking coop bottles.. Should i give into temptation, i remember it being very gingery in taste.

Aye, get one popped open :)

New years eve an all.

I'm on me fourth can of John's smiths, courtesy of the next door neighbour :cool:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The only ginger wine I remember making as a child came in a tiny bottle you added to 8 pints of hot water and loads of sugar but had a great spicy kick that would keep any cold at bay. Bought from a chemist

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the stuff :D
Have a read of the ingredients Tiger Stacker, if it's the same wee bottles from the Co then it's safe to use even twelve years out of date …..me and my neighbour each had a go, she had the ginger one and I had the blackcurrant one….and they were fine :)

Re-reading this thread I'm in the notion to have another shot at this.

M

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Not the real stuff, but the stuff your Auntie used to give you at the New Year since children weren't given alcohol. So sweet you loved it and so nippy with gingery stuff you couldn't drink much :D

I shopped in the Co today, and I bought a wee bottle of the Yu-lade stuff. ( they don't call it ginger wine anymore, it's ginger drink :rolleyes: )

Anyway, the ingredients are something of a mixed bag.......with things like polyoxyethylene sorbitan monopalmitate (polysorbate 40), and the like.

Anyone have a good recipe for something real ? I make the ginger beer, and I don't want alcoholic, but I would like something very sweet and gingery, just to go with the shortbread and dumpling :D

cheers,
Toddy

I used to love the stuff you got in the wee bottle from the co. I think she added it to so much boiled water then left to cool and i would be given the bottle it came in, I remember saying when I was about 3 ohhh nippy, happy memories.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It used to be shaped like a wee hipflask :)
I think it was so boys took it first footing their Grannies :D I know my brother did.

It must be the night, I've got the shortbread, etc., but I don't have the ginger wine :sigh: I have a ginger cordial stuff, but it's not the same :sigh:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE