Gill net project complete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Today I finally put my gill net project to bed, I must admit its more or less been a labour of love as I had never any intention of using it in anger.
I have been making bits and bobs of nets for a while now and decided to make something a bit bigger.
As you can see I used bottle corks for the top, red deer anlter segments for the bottom and good old paracord to hold them all together. The net measures about 8ft x 5ft and has a 2inch mesh.

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
you've missed a stich ;)

interesting stuff shame it won't get used

what about as a hammock you'll need it after all that work

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Nice work,HF,if you don't mind me asking,what type of cordage did you use to knit the net?

It looks good,you should be proud,i know how much perseverance is required to produce a net of any great size,plus the blisters on the fingers.

Cheers Stuart.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Thanks for the kind comments , Its really hard to guess how long it took to complete because I only did a couple of rows at a time before boredom or necessity to do something else kicked in. I would imagine if you did this and nothing else you could knock a net of this size up in around a couple of days.
Stuart, the net was made of 12z nylon which was bought on ebay which I must admit is quite good to work with.
HF:)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks for the kind comments , Its really hard to guess how long it took to complete because I only did a couple of rows at a time before boredom or necessity to do something else kicked in. I would imagine if you did this and nothing else you could knock a net of this size up in around a couple of days.
Stuart, the net was made of 12z nylon which was bought on ebay which I must admit is quite good to work with.
HF:)

Thanks for that,i will be having a look on Ebay.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE