Giant puffball

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Found earlier today.

Photo of it being held by my daughter which gives some idea of scale (she is 8 years old).
3799250288_9379c98553.jpg

Being chopped up and prepped for cooking
3798409341_ab60878b79.jpg

We get these same place each year behind a walnut tree. This is a massive one though.

Very good eating :)

Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great find Chris

I'm still to find a decent sized one yet. Got a field near where I go tramping which produces them most years but they never seem to swell to anything like that.

How did it taste ?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Pretty good. Bland flavour but a nice texture and very vesatile. Chopped this one up and used some in an omelette. Some also being used for soup. Some for the kids breaded and fried. And some left over!

Should also say this was in Pays de la Loire, France.

Chris

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
They're good eating when the flesh is _pure_white. As soon as the flesh starts to get the slightest tinge of yellow, they're vile!

Jim

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I saw a whole load (at least 12" in diameter) in a field five or six years ago before I got into this bushcraft lark. Is there anything (nasty) that could be mistaken for a giant puffball?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I thought there was, dont't have time to check it now as I'm heading out to work but maybe it was just warnings about the puffball puffing and turning bad.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I thought there was, dont't have time to check it now as I'm heading out to work but maybe it was just warnings about the puffball puffing and turning bad.

They are only edible when they are young and pure-white inside. As I mentioned earlier, they're inedible and vile tasting if they have the slightest tinge of yellow.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE