Getting out when you are crocked or otherwise disabled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Following an incident last week involving my dog (who I think is trying to kill me) I now have torn ligaments in my left ankle. I just went over on it, but the damage is significant. So I'm signed off work, and rest is prescribed. I have it strapped up, and am walking with crutches, and have an 8 week loan of a wheelchair. But sitting in the house is driving me completely crackers. Driving can be done, but hurts, and probably doesn't help the recovery.

So the question is, I know that there are a number of people on here with old injuries or medical conditions or other conditions that restrict them in some way. Any tips for getting out and about and for low intensity bushcraft activities? What to do, what to avoid etc. I'm planning to take it very easy, but the chance to just be outside would be great.

I have all the usual kit, including hammocks and hammock chair, and ground kit and camp chairs. I have a Polish lavvu too. I'm pretty experienced, but just looking for 'been there, done that' sort of guidance, and would love to hear other people's stories.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I had a 12 month period several years ago when it was have been stupid of me to be completely out of contact in the woods etc. A reoccurring back and leg problems that could (and often did) leave me immobile simply after twisting, bending, standing up too quickly etc…..I got in touch with a couple of local Carp Fishing syndicates (not commercial fisheries) and got permission to ‘camp’ on their lakes. Didn’t fish myself just used the time to carve, whittle, birdwatch etc. with the knowledge that there was someone within shouting distance. The situation was explained to the members, they left me alone and I didn’t disturb them (though in truth they generally could not completely resist the smell of the bacon in a morning) Not the real thing but better than being stuck in the house.

D.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I ripped tendons on my ankle falling over a neolithic clearance boundary :sigh: It was hidden in tussocky grass and bog. I twisted the other ankle a couple of days later saving the damaged one :eek:
I couldn't walk without my boots tied on as tightly as I could manage. In the end I was strapped from my toes to my knees for six weeks and only surgery will repair the tendons properly.
It was a nightmare at the time and at times is a frustration and a restriction that's not getting any better. RA does not help.

Anyway, you just find things to do. I read voraciously, I had friends and family in and about me all the time, I made stuff, I hobbled out into the garden and the local pathways. I longed for one of those small endless pools, the kind where you can swin against an adjustable current, but there was no way I was going to the local swimming baths. In the end I used the exercises from the Exercise beats Arthritis book just to keep everything flexible.

It's not easy Mike, but for your future self's sake, do the healing properly.
It's only a few months out of hopefully a long and active life.
Spring is definitely here :) even just outside the back door is full of life, even if you've to sit at peace with a mug of tea. Play with the camera and the computer, sort out stuff, images, etc., Write :D
Plan things you would like to do and figure out the how, where and when too :cool:

Best of luck with it; get well soon :)

M

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
I know how you feel, i'm just about to return to work after a year off due to back problems. What i did was turn part of my garden into a bushcraft "camp" where i could sit, cook, whittle and generally do what i wanted, but not too far away from the house.
Hope you have a quick recovery, atb, Ian :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I had a 12 month period several years ago when it was have been stupid of me to be completely out of contact in the woods etc. A reoccurring back and leg problems that could (and often did) leave me immobile simply after twisting, bending, standing up too quickly etc…..I got in touch with a couple of local Carp Fishing syndicates (not commercial fisheries) and got permission to ‘camp’ on their lakes. Didn’t fish myself just used the time to carve, whittle, birdwatch etc. with the knowledge that there was someone within shouting distance. The situation was explained to the members, they left me alone and I didn’t disturb them (though in truth they generally could not completely resist the smell of the bacon in a morning) Not the real thing but better than being stuck in the house.

D.B.

That's sort of what I need. Somewhere with easy access and flat ground where I can just sit.

I ripped tendons on my ankle falling over a neolithic clearance boundary :sigh: It was hidden in tussocky grass and bog. I twisted the other ankle a couple of days later saving the damaged one :eek:
I couldn't walk without my boots tied on as tightly as I could manage. In the end I was strapped from my toes to my knees for six weeks and only surgery will repair the tendons properly.
It was a nightmare at the time and at times is a frustration and a restriction that's not getting any better. RA does not help.

Anyway, you just find things to do. I read voraciously, I had friends and family in and about me all the time, I made stuff, I hobbled out into the garden and the local pathways. I longed for one of those small endless pools, the kind where you can swin against an adjustable current, but there was no way I was going to the local swimming baths. In the end I used the exercises from the Exercise beats Arthritis book just to keep everything flexible.

It's not easy Mike, but for your future self's sake, do the healing properly.
It's only a few months out of hopefully a long and active life.
Spring is definitely here :) even just outside the back door is full of life, even if you've to sit at peace with a mug of tea. Play with the camera and the computer, sort out stuff, images, etc., Write :D
Plan things you would like to do and figure out the how, where and when too :cool:

Best of luck with it; get well soon :)

M

I will be concentrating on the recovery, but mentally getting outdoors is part of my healthy routine on that side of things. I can do all those other things anyway. Thanks for the good wishes.

I know how you feel, i'm just about to return to work after a year off due to back problems. What i did was turn part of my garden into a bushcraft "camp" where i could sit, cook, whittle and generally do what i wanted, but not too far away from the house.
Hope you have a quick recovery, atb, Ian :)

Sadly my garden isn't suitable at all. Ideas are coming though.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im out of the game for good, well its looking that way and its driving me mad. I long to get out, i look at people's out and about posts on here and it both helps and tortures my mind in almost equal measures. Hope you have a speedy recovery and you can post some pic's for me to both salivate and cry over, still love it on here though and will continue to drool.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
You have my sympathy. I had a very bad bout of sciatica last year and it went on for months.

I found myself on the this site even more than usual where I appreciated the vicarious pleasure of reading about other members' experiences. I also much appreciated the expression of sympathy and some of the practical suggestions about how to deal with the problem. I also found myself fiddling with kit, carrying out modifications, packing and repacking pouches and looking at kit on-line more than usual.

Things will get better, although you may find yourself taking things a bit more carefully than you did before: I know I have. I appreciate the time I spend outside more than i did.

Keep us all posted as to how things are progressing.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
As someone who has recurring back issues all I can say is know your limits.
Staying at home doing beggar all does not help but you need to be aware of when to say 'enough' before you start hurting your recovery.
At my worst episodes I wrote about subjects to do with my work and learnt to code a program to use with my cad program. At the time I lived in a flat with no garden but I did as soon as I could make the 200 metre walk to the beach just to get out of the four walls, losing oneself in other sedentary pursuits only goes so far but is nonetheless a rewarding one.
I hope you mend fast and find other interim activities to take your mind off the injury.

Rob.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Drain Bamaged idea about the Carp fishers is a good one.

I have had sciatica too; its dreadful. I couldnt do anything except walk, so I walked walked walked until I was exhausted enough to sleep.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Well looks like we are in the same area. Im on the look out for somewhere closer to go, If I find somewhere with easy access I'm happy to give you a shout and have a few hours out. Naked tag may be a bit one sided though...:lmao:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well looks like we are in the same area. Im on the look out for somewhere closer to go, If I find somewhere with easy access I'm happy to give you a shout and have a few hours out. Naked tag may be a bit one sided though...:lmao:

I don't know whether to appreciate the offer or run for the hills. Well, I can't run, so I will appreciate it. Places are no problem. Getting to them is the difficulty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE