Get lost (Why I intend to)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Get lost (why I intend to)

I've been thinking about why it is that throughout my life I've had this desire to go into the wilds and have adventures, and have come to the conclusion that it’s some sort of primal urge within me, and that I need to do it for the urge to be satisfied. Has anyone ever heard of the concept of flow? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology) The idea is one of being fully involved in what you’re doing, feeling challenged (but still succeeding) and being energised and motivated. It’s what some people think we should aim for in life. This relates really closely to what all of us feel about getting out into nature and doing bushcraft. Bushcraft allows you to be fully immersed in what you’re doing, achieve success at your own level, and feel fully involved in life in a way that can’t be matched sat at home. Could there be a more inherently ‘involving’ thing than gathering wild food and being a part of nature?

From here I’m going to go out on my own and say that I think that what I and many other people lack in life is a sense of purpose. Christopher McCandless http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0330351699 wrote the same thing in the margins of a book he was reading just before died. People doing rubbish jobs don’t have a sense that they are doing something that matters. People in society are often marginalised by their socio-economic status and made to feel that they don’t matter. Being in nature provides an alternative. By being a part of nature you gain a sense of belonging and the purpose of being part of something bigger than yourself. Widespread frustrations that people have with modern society, like a lack of community and materialism, show that few of us wholly identify with our way of life. There's such a bewildering array of aspects to society that we can, and do, spend a lifetime trying to understand them all, but the real issue is with us. People first need the basics of survival: food, water, clothing and shelter. Then they feel the need for a sense of security and close relationships. Many of us have all of these in some measure. All of us have the most basic. The step after this is a big one.

A man called Maslow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs talked about this. He said people need self-fulfilment; to become everything that they are capable of becoming. The idea is that once you have your food, water, clothing, shelter, a sense of security and a loving family and friends, all of your essential needs are met. You become like a car that's been serviced, fuelled, cleaned, and even polished. Where does it go? When people don't have a purpose they try to go backwards and chase things they already have to look for satisfaction. Get more money, some new stuff, even a new relationship, and you get the high we are all programmed to feel when we do something that meets our basic needs. The effect is clearly temporary, and life can become about chasing away a sense of disquiet with these temporary highs.

Certain people in the west take the basic needs for granted because they've never had to fear being without them. This where bushcraft comes back in. In a unique way, making things from natural materials allows us to express ourselves in what we make and gain a sense of purpose from feeling a part of nature. My own answer to finding purpose or flow is to go and have an adventure this summer. I’m going to buy a sailing dinghy, somewhere. I’m going to sail it, somewhere. I’m going to do bushcraft. Maybe I’ll sail in Scandinavia and do bushcraft in Lapland. Or the Scottish highlands. I’ll be gone all summer and if it's as good as I hope I may not be back. I'll send you a postcard!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It sounds wonderful! what you said about self-fulfilment through bushcrafting sounds spot on, that's probably why we do it.
I know I get a sense of satisfaction from 'doing it myself'. I go out, feeling normal and come back from it feeling relaxed ,stress-free and ready to be myself in a world that wants you to conform to every little pathetic rule. It's hard to come back to this life knowing that there is a better one simply a mile or so away.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I get satisfaction from striving to be the best in my field and I get a sense of overwhelming accomplishment once I have completed a job to both mine and my clients satisfaction.
I suppose I wouldn't of started my own business if I didn't love what I do. After working for someone else in a job that used every part of you without giving much back, the long days and nights, the accounting and paperwork just ain't too much trouble for the freedom I get to be able to do what I love and be on the new front of photography.

I wish you well on your journey, and to have the strength and courage to face all the trials that come with being your own boss.
Please send us photos and words so we may travel with you.

Congratulations, you are the free butterfly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE