German army goretex trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
anyone got any experience of these? They look great, I like the braces and the high back just sceptical about the waterproof properties. Look like a real bargain around £20-25.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I don't have any experience with these but I personally avoid Gortex like the plague. I don't find it to be breathable at all. I've got some jackets that I'll use if I'm just chilling or ferreting, but if you're actually bushcrafting (hiking in, shelter building, firewood cutting etc) I can't think of anything worse. Your experience may differ of course. I prefer to wear trousers that may let my skin get wet but that I can actually dry quickly by the fire or in the wind. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I don't have any experience with these but I personally avoid Gortex like the plague. I don't find it to be breathable at all. I've got some jackets that I'll use if I'm just chilling or ferreting, but if you're actually bushcrafting (hiking in, shelter building, firewood cutting etc) I can't think of anything worse. Your experience may differ of course. I prefer to wear trousers that may let my skin get wet but that I can actually dry quickly by the fire or in the wind. Just my 2 cents.

That might work well then, that's the kind of thing I'm after to be honest I was going to use them as an over trouser for sure, for sitting around camp / fishing etc

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
That might work well then, that's the kind of thing I'm after to be honest I was going to use them as an over trouser for sure, for sitting around camp / fishing etc
Yeah I mean, it's obviously not the gimmick that I thought it was due to the popularity. I used to be a highland gamekeeper/deerstalker and I've tried a bunch of companies 'tex' and I'm just not a fan. As I say, great for just standing around. As for sitting by the fire, I'd also have a think about whatever the outer material is. I've had deerstalker trousers with 'deertex' membrane and sparks went through them like they weren't there. Made them breathable though! I also have a rigeline monsoon with the same problem. My current jacket of choice for that kind of thing is a seeland shooting jacket. It's like a non waxed barbour with a gortex lining. I haven't got wet in it yet (from rain, sweat on the other hand....)and it seems to be extremely durable. It's even held up to carrying boulders for making firepits in the woods.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I got some British Army surplus MTP MVP waterproof overtrousers from Strikeforce for £not-a-lot, and they are goretex of a kind. I use them for beating, rabbiting, fishing and field archery. They have full length zips down the outside of the legs and are easy to get into even with boots on. They seem to work well, keeping me dry in some very inclement conditions. I have even used them on the motorbike, where most overtrousers seem to fail, and they were fine. I haven’t tried to use them in high workload situations (e.g serious ascent or running), but they have been worth every penny to me.

YGEMV :). [your goretex experience may vary]

Edit: these ones in fact: https://strikeforcesupplies.com/product/mtp-camo-pcs-lightweight-goretex-waterproof-trousers/

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I got some British Army surplus MTP MVP waterproof overtrousers from Strikeforce for £not-a-lot, and they are goretex of a kind. I use them for beating, rabbiting, fishing and field archery. They have full length zips down the outside of the legs and are easy to get into even with boots on. They seem to work well, keeping me dry in some very inclement conditions. I have even used them on the motorbike, where most overtrousers seem to fail, and they were fine. I haven’t tried to use them in high workload situations (e.g serious ascent or running), but they have been worth every penny to me.

YGEMV :). [your goretex experience may vary]

Edit: these ones in fact: https://strikeforcesupplies.com/product/mtp-camo-pcs-lightweight-goretex-waterproof-trousers/

Plus One for these. They pack down pretty small and are actually more comfy than my £100 old sprayway ones. and at silly money it doesn't matter if they get trashed.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Plus One for these. They pack down pretty small and are actually more comfy than my £100 old sprayway ones. and at silly money it doesn't matter if they get trashed.
I should have also added: as is common with all over trousers with long zips, the zips allow a degree of ventilation if you get hot in them, plus access to your trouser pockets.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Goretex is horrible stuff. My employer (Arb utility for a power company) issued Goretex coats and over trousers for tree surgeons and ground workers to keep production up during foul weather. It’s bad enough having to work in chainsaw trousers, but it was liked being wrapped in polythene. My only other experiences of the ‘miracle fabric’ is in boots, both the Haix and my Meindl Vakuum boots proved to give me sore, hot, and sweaty feet. At the time of the Meindl there was a leather inner option. Why I went for the modern posh option I have no idea. :banghead2:

Reactions: 0000

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I think you may be talking about the plain olive/green ones with a leg gusset/zip and an ankle velcro adj strap? 2nd hand Goretex is dubious. Mine seemed OK for a year but I find that with all Goretex. These Austrian/German army ones are great at that price. The flyzip and flap didnt really sit well so it looked like I was wearing a cod piece. The braces and zips are still all ok. One of the ankle adjs tore from its housing, but it stuck to the velcro so it was recoverable. They seem to be on the short length probably designed to fasten around the top of a highleg leather boot rather than further down.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Goretex 3 layers is Goretex 3 layers. The best moisture permeable really waterproof existing stuff.

If you don't move or just slowly it works fine up to 16*C, it works OK up to 20*C.

If it's warmer it doesn't work any more properly. And if you move fast and get warm it doesn't work enough.
That's well known.

The Flecktarn trousers have pocket zippers but no own pockets. If you open them you pump out the air with every step. That works relatively well.

The cut is meant to wear them over padded trousers, BW Kälteschutzhose.
It can be attached in the Flecktarn Goretex BW Nässeschutzhose. (Not the old rhombus pattern version but the wave pattern version.) That works more or less like such a civil 3 in 1 outdoor jacket.

The zippers next to the boot do not open the trousers there, they just make them wider or tighter if you want to step with the boots into them.

Usually the Flecktarn Goretex trousers are sold in very very very good conditions. At first they bought the suits for everyone and than reduced the Army from 300.000 to 100.000 men and sold the new stuff as cheap as chips.

The whole suit is relatively light if you compare it with similar Army Goretex suits, because it's a simple cut and the stuff was constructed for a general conscription army, not for special forces which look like pitbulls.

Pack size of the trousers is a bit less, of the jacket a bit more than 1 litre if rolled.

I doubt that you currently get regularly better rain trousers for such a low price.

Usually made by Feuchter in Germany, by the way.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I love them.
Works very well.
Regntoy.jpg-for-web-large.jpg

I paid about £25 for both trousers and jacket (some years ago).

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
anyone got any experience of these? They look great, I like the braces and the high back just sceptical about the waterproof properties. Look like a real bargain around £20-25.
I have used both the parka and over trousers for a while now and they are perfect in rain. The Flecktarn gear is actually SympaTex. As windproof as gore tex but slightly more waterproof in some situations and certainly quieter, more comfortable to wear and resistant to snagging on thorns and undergrowth. When wearing the trousers keep the pocket flaps open and then movement helps pump out moist air. With the lower leg zips you can get them out of your pack and over your boots pretty quick. I tend to wear a windproof combat smock over it if the rain is torrential and have not had a problem with water getting through. You can obviously overload its system by overexertion and/or two many base layers but its avoidable. The fabric is also environmentally friendly and bio degradable, something Gore Tex is not. I wouldn't have thought next to the fire would be the best place to sit with it. I haven't seen it burn but the thought of having to stumble across 5 miles of moorland with third degree burns to get to a road to get to hospital is not an appealing one. Finally, on price, i haven't seen it beaten. I got a nearly new parka off ebay the other day for £3.50!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Goretex and Sympatex work on very different principles and are very different materials. Goretex is Teflon and sympatex is polyester-ether. Goretex works on a principle of millions of holes and Sympatex by absorbing water. Both equally stop working when it is wet outside, especially when the outer fabric is wet. Reason why the garments almost always have DWR treatment. If I had to chose I would take Sympatex as it is quieter and tends to last longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE