General purpose hidden tang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Here are some pictures of the latest one from me.

GP%20maple%201%20copy.jpg

GP%20maple%204%20copy.jpg

GP%20maple%205%20copy.jpg

GP%20maple%203%20copy.jpg

GP%20maple%202%20copy.jpg

The blade is 85mm long, 3mm thick and has a hand rubbed finish. The steel is O1 with a 24 degree primary bevel and a very slight micro bevel, heat treated to 57 HRC.

The handle is 125mm long maple burl which is sanded to a satin finish and treated with oil and wax. The bolster is moose antler.

The sheath is made from premium cow hide and has a wooden liner.

Your feedback is always appreciated :)

Michael

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Handle Imo would have been better wi aht the white band, an the secondary bevel on the blade is an off put.. Overall still a puirtyish enuff tool. Cheers for sharing an being open to opinion :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Handle and Sheath look great, although I really liked the one you did with a Black liner, so much that I have been meaning to get some. Micro looks quite big for a 24 deg grind but it is very hard to tell from a photo; do you know what the final edge angle is?

I prefer a really tiny micro bevel to a true zero grind but only on really shallow grinds:20 or less. At 24 I would probably aim for zero. But then that I am really only talking about woodcarving blades that have a realitvely easy life. The robust tip on this suggests to me that it may have more to contend with!

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks all.

nic and Chiseller: The micro bevel is just a result of stropping, it looks much bigger than it is. 'Scandi' grinds generally end up with a small micro bevel after you strop them a few times. My knives come pre stropped :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE