Gas lanterns - anyone use them ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm interested to know how popular these are among the group.

I have vivid memories of digging out the gas lamp during the winter power cuts in the 70's, for working on the car with my dad and so on.

Paraffin tilley lamps were also a staple on group trips in the UK and "expeditions" to corsica & the pyrenees while I was at Uni.

I've always been a bit appalled at the price of candle lanterns for what you get and notice that you can now get compact gas lamps with mesh globes and even a design that uses a glowing platinum mesh instead of a fragile mantle.

BRU0052.jpg

Anyone have any experience to offer ?

Thanks, Alick

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
when I was in the woodcraft folk gas gave way to parrifin lights for brightness. We have a camping Gaz light for family camping, simple to use and will light a large tent nicely (collorado 800). I don't remember having to replace the gas canister over a trip of a few days (IIRC you get about 10hours from one canister). I hope this helps

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
looks interesting, i would be interested to hear others opinions

not a fan of disposable gas cartridges meself but thats just me

if you are into old lamps and stoves have a look at http://spiritburner.com/ which is a place where some of the dinosaurs are still loved and cared for

Tant

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have an old ish... go-gas kinda lamp.. we always dig it out in the power cuts.. not much good for camping though.. enless its out of a car i guess..!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Seem expensive, large, heavy and un-economical compared to LED lamps. I can see that ~80 watts for 8 hours might be worth the money & carriage if it was for a base camp or family/car camping but too much for a backpack IMO.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
What about the mini ones which you interchange with the canister you use to cook with? I always thought a) you will use the cannister quickly and b) you have to cook in the dark. But definatly compact and for backpacking.

Bill

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I have a range of them from pressurised paraffin and big 150w propane lamps down to relatively small packable type that will run on a small disposable cylinder and I love em for car camping but I wouldnt carry one, I like to backpack as light as possible!

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE