Galloways Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
hi all,

I would normally head for Fort William, Glencoe area in winter for mountaineering but want a change and Galloway is a lot closer to home in Essex. there seems to be an abundance of choice and with time I would happily put my own jigsaw together. time for me is at a premium and so the trip and future ones will be short so as not to upset the family harmony!!

I am sure this has been asked before i.e. where to go/ what areas would you recommend etc and I really don't want to risk anyones favourite spots being abused so in contrast can I ask if there are any areas to avoid? thinking parking safety issues mainly, any private areas to avoid or seek permission for etc

looking to go at beginning of the autumn to avoid the midges and townies and am happy for a long walk in in return for some peace and space.

any help on here or via pm would be most welcomed as it may save some worry and time spent searching meaning more time doing what we all love.

I am confident in navigating, travelling solo etc even in bad weather

many thanks in advance, Moley.

Trotsky

Raider's Road is great, the missus and I went along it a couple of times when we spent a week up there in 2014. I saw evidence in a few places of where people had wild camped and unfortunately not fully tidied up after themselves. There's plenty of opportunity in the area and it's absolutely beautiful. This is up at or near to Otter Pool on the Raider's Road in the Galloway forest park.
PANO_20140620_135847.jpg

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
My friend and I are planning a trip to the Galloway forest on the 9th March. We're spending 3 days there and would be more than happy to give you some feedback on our finds. I'll be using this as my first excuse to film an actual trip I've been on, so if all goes to plan I should have some good footage to share too!

Hopefully the midges don't wake up too soon!

Trotsky

That was early June, we actually barely saw a midge during our whole week up there. I put it down to there being a good breeze whenever they threatened to appear. It was damn hot up there that week, I think it was 28°C or so when I took that photo, we and a couple of locals were in the river there cooling off at one point.

McGruff

For peace and space imagine Clatteringshaws loch is the right-hand end of a 15k line and slide it up northwards to Loch Doon. Glen Trool and the Merrick will have a steady trickle of visitors but is worth a mention. The rest should be very quiet and empty. A place to get lost in, in the good way not the mountain rescue way.

Also, as you can see from the map, lots of gnarly, craggy little hills to climb. Bothy at Tunskeen.

Hello there,
I live in the area and know it really quite well. I am a bit pushed for time at the minute but please do send me a little message and i will happily advise where is good for what and where to avoid though to be honest its hard to go too far wrong round here :D
Its a bonny spot and just this morning i was out by the burn in the woods behind my cottage where i watched red squirrels and kingfishers. Bonny :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE