Futhark runes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Does anyone understand how to translate English into Futhark runes?

Apart from 26 characters reduced to 24, some of the runes are double lettered... little bit confusing.

More than happy to buy books if anyone can recommend some?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Nice programme, thanks. I have just bought a copy of the futhark seax. Found in the Thames it has the runic "alphabet" on the blade.

a-rune-23-dagaz.gif

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Aye there are various runic alphabets from different time periods and regions. I use Futhark the most as it is the more generic that people identify with. I have a rune punch set from leprevo but the translations on the back are wrong (at least to my knowledge). Here is a basic wee guide. Remember it was an alphabet for the scandinavian/germanic tongue so W and V are the same, and C and K are the same. Some symbols represent a single sound that we create with a combination of two letters.

attachment.php

Attachments

• futhark.jpg
    futhark.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 65

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey... plenty of info to get my teeth into... thank you all :D

I'm planning on one or two items to use it for at the moment, but if they look good, I might make more.

I've got some reading to do :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE